We’re a team of the brightest minds in Edmonton who are on a journey to change the way accounting is done in the world of small business. If you’re looking for a firm that will give you real responsibility from day one and develop your professional acumen, this is the place to be. Our innovative and trustworthy way of doing business creates an environment where you can come to do important work that makes a difference in the world.
When you begin with HGA, you’re not only joining a firm that’s changing the way business is done, but you’re also joining at an inflection point. Our culture is deeply supportive, diverse, rich in opportunity and reward, and high in integrity and performance. So, whether you’re helping our businesses find new opportunities, developing relationships with our growing list of clients, or providing expert advice to internal partners, you’ll be working in an environment built on integrity, fairness, and respect. We’re scaling fast and we’re not slowing down anytime soon. In just a few short years, we’ve grown exponentially.
We give our people the tools and support to grow and enrich their careers, so if you have the ambition and drive to succeed, join us and we’ll help you to become your very best. It’s been quite the ride so far and we’re looking for bright, personable, and bubbly individuals who love solving tough problems to join us on this incredible leg of our journey.
We’re on the hunt for a full-time Senior Accountant to become a part of the HGA Family and add value to our incredible team. The ideal candidate will take on the position of trusted liaison between managers, partners, and clients in preparing Notice to Reader, Review and Audit engagements and assume leadership roles on complex files. The Senior Accountant will report directly to their respective managers and partners, however, as part of the Senior Accounting team, this individual will be provided the opportunity to mentor our junior and intermediate-level accountants.
Perfect for someone who understands the value of customer service, this individual will enjoy working alongside the managers to support our large range of clients and be equally as invested in who our clients are as people, as well as their business and the 'numbers'. A high level of accountability and initiative will be key to succeed in this role, as well as the ability to navigate and adapt to a fast-paced professional services environment.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Preparation and review of Notice to Reader, Review, and Audit engagements
- Preparation and review of working paper files for income tax returns for personal, corporate and trust returns
- Assume leadership roles on complex engagements
- Assist managers with managing a portfolio of clients, ensuring their needs are met and that relationships and accounts grow and develop
- Provide support to team members in related tasks and guidance to junior staff as required
- Provide mentorship to junior and intermediate-level accounting staff
Education & Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant field (i.e., B.Com., B.BA., etc.)
- CA or CPA designation, or designation near completion
- 2+ Years’ experience in a public practice environment
- Strong technical expertise in assurance, accounting, and tax
- Comprehensive experience in compilation and review preparation
- Experience leading and supervising staff is an asset
Skills & Knowledge:
- Knowledge of relevant accounting frameworks and file documentation best practices
- Knowledge and experience in accounting software such as CaseWare, Profile, QuickBooks (QBO), and Sage
- Strong computer skills (especially in Microsoft Office), and intermediate to advanced proficiency in Excel
- Focused on client service orientation
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong commitment to excellence and attention to detail
- Proven problem solver with solid analytical skills
- Ability to develop and present new ideas and conceptualize new approaches and solutions
- Ability to navigate a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrate a high-level of accountability
- An ability to follow direction effectively and work well both independently and within a team
- Strong time-management and ability to effectively manage multiple projects
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to translate this into mentorship through leading teams
What We Offer
Benefits & Perks
- Comprehensive benefits package including: Extended Health Care, Dental Care, Disability and Life Insurance, etc..
- Group Registered Retirement Saving Program (RRSP) with company matching
- On-Site Gym with employee discounts and group fitness classes
- On-Site Free Parking
- Wellness Program
HGA is on a mission to provide meaningful and impactful opportunities that drive individuals to grow personally and professionally. We do this by offering competitive total compensation, challenging work, and engaging and collaborative work culture.
Our people are what set us apart, and we believe in providing an inclusive and diverse workplace where all individuals have the opportunity to succeed. We are committed to building and employing an inclusive and diverse work culture to serve our clients with excellence. Joining the HGA team means that everyone is welcome, and we can provide reasonable accommodation during the selection process, upon request, to meet your needs at any stage in the recruitment process.
If you are a passionate professional who is eager and excited to take on a challenging opportunity, this is it!
Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
More search results
Accounts Receivable /Accountant
Kandrea Insulation & Scaffolding
Financial Services Specialist
Workers' Compensation Board- Alberta
Assistant Deputy Minister, Alternative Capital Fi…
Government of Alberta (PSC)
Alberta Motor Association ( AMA)
Legislative Senior Staff Auditor
Office of the Auditor General