- Nanaimo Airport Commission
- Nanaimo BC
- $85,000 - $97,000
- Job Industry
- Government/Public Administration, Not-for-profit and Charitable Organizations, Transportation
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
Position Title: Financial Controller
Department: Corporate Services
Reports to: VP Finance /Chief Financial Officer
Classification Level: Level 5 (Management Wage Grid) – Permanent / Full Time
Reporting to the VP Finance/Chief Financial Officer (“CFO”), the Controller is an experienced business and people leader who will provide financial oversight, direction and leadership to the accounting, senior management and Executive teams at the Nanaimo Airport Commission (“NAC”). The Controller is well versed in accounting standards, financial policies, operational reporting, information technology, management information systems, and workflow management. This position would be well suited for a recently designated Chartered Professional Accountant (“CPA”).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
Financial Accounting & Control
- Oversees all day-to-day financial operations for the NAC.
- Oversees day-to-day cash requirements and is responsible for treasury management.
- General Ledger and sub-ledger management and reconciliation.
- Oversee month-end, quarter end, and year-end procedures are completed in a timely fashion including reviewing and approving of working papers for accuracy, appropriate reconciliation, and proper documentation.
- Capital Asset management including collaborating with the operations teams, updating the capital asset register for additions, disposals and write downs.
- Manages annual audit to ensure timely and efficient completion.
- Ensure compliance with the company’s internal control processes, while encouraging continuous improvement.
- Updates and document financial policies, procedures, and workflows on a regular basis.
- Supports and maintains internal and expense control procedures.
Financial Planning, Reporting & Analysis
- Oversees preparation of all financial statements including Balance Sheet, Profit and Loss Statement and Statement of Cashflows on a timely basis.
- Prepares a monthly variance analysis including the identification and interpretation of results and prevailing trends.
- Communicates and leads the monthly management and Executive financial review.
- Supports leadership teams with financial analysis to support functional areas.
- Forecasting – prepare operations and capital forecasting on a regular and ad hoc basis.
- Assists the CFO with annual operating, capital and cash budget planning and preparation.
Information Technology and Management Information Systems
- Works with external contractors to ensure continuous improvement of network and data security.
- Assists with updating and automating business processes to improve efficiency and are compliant with modern corporate “best practices”.
- Lead the implementation of new management information systems and ensure the implementation is successful and completed in a timely manner. Upcoming projects include an Airport Management system and an Asset Management System.
- Is the champion for all Information Technology Systems including corporate network, computers, phones, cameras, and all other technology.
- Contributes to developing a financial strategy in order to maximize financial goals and ensure the financial plan and forecasting align with corporate goals and objectives.
- Provides support with annual report and strategic planning process.
- Provides support with leases, supplier agreements, licensing and contracts.
- Provides internal consultation on contract matters and recommends actions for resolution.
- Supervises and directs day-to-day operational activities of members of the Finance team.
- Trains, develops and motivates Finance team direct reports. Conducts periodic performance reviews.
- Takes active part in process/policy reviews in order to identify opportunities, and create solutions aimed towards process improvements.
- Manages and builds relationships with service providers including banking, insurance, auditors, and other advisors.
- Drives innovation to streamline processes, improve workflows and create system efficiencies including corporate led initiatives.
- Recommends and directs action of staff on financial matters with respect to client issues, landlord/tenant issues, and contracts with suppliers.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
All other tasks, duties and responsibilities as required.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, AND COMPETENCIES
- Completion of a 4-year University program in Finance or Accounting or a combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation or equivalent.
- Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Required as of October 31st, 2021
- Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB) exposure is preferred.
- 3+ years of progressive experience in an accounting for financial position.
- A strong working knowledge of computer networking structure, file data management systems and cyber security.
- A sound working knowledge of a wide variety of software applications including Microsoft Office (including higher level functions of MS Excel such as pivot tables, lookups, etc.), Microsoft Business Central and asset management systems.
- Detail oriented strategic thinker with exceptional analytical abilities and sound judgment.
- Proven ability to effectively lead, coach and mentor staff to reach their full potential.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills; demonstrated ability to prioritize conflicting requirements in a timely manner.
- Possesses excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate in a team environment and able to work independently.
- Ability to work under pressure in order to meet tight timelines and to respond to pressing issues.
- Class 5 driver’s licence or equivalent.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Work area is indoors in a climate-controlled environment with moderate background noise.
- Approximately 80% of this position’s duties require use of a computer, sitting at a desk most of your working day.
- Position includes occasionally carrying items over of various weight and size.
- Extensive data entry may be necessary in this position.
- Minimal opportunity to work from home.
This position has been evaluated at an MWG-5 with an annual salary range of $85,000 (minimum) to $97,000 (maximum) per annum. Employment offers will normally be made between the minimum and midpoint of the range and are determined by knowledge, experience, and internal equity. The Nanaimo Airport offers a comprehensive benefits package including, vacation, sick leave, RRSP contribution, Employee & Family Assistance Program, and health benefits.
The Nanaimo Airport is an equal opportunity employer committed to establishing an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment for all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other basis protected by applicable law.
To apply for this opportunity, please email your resume and cover letter in pdf format with the subject line of “Controller” plus your name to: email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted until Sunday, January 16, 2022.
While the Nanaimo Airport values all applications we receive, only those candidates shortlisted for further consideration will be contacted.
More search results
Financial Reporting Analyst
Canary Biofuels Inc.
Board Member of Westmount Charter School Society …
Westmount Charter School
Kids Developmental Services Ltd.
Financial Services Specialist
Workers' Compensation Board- Alberta
Vice President & Executive Financial Officer
PFM Executive Search / Panorama Search Partners