Established in 1992, the Gwich’in Tribal Council (GTC) is an Indigenous organization that represents Gwich’in Participants from the Mackenzie-Delta region of the Northwest Territories. Its vision is to be a culturally vibrant and independent Nation that is environmentally responsible and socially and economically self-reliant. Its mission is to protect and advance Gwich'in interests through quality work, collaborative approaches and good governance in order to improve the lives of its residents while preserving the language and culture of the Gwich’in.
Based in Inuvik, Northwest Territories, the Chief Financial Officer role sits on the Senior Leadership Team, and reports to the Grand Chief and Board of Directors. Key elements of the role include:
- Directing, leading, and managing all aspects of financial operations and resources for the GTC, Gwich’in Development Corporation, and affiliates;
- Developing and implementing the strategic plan in conjunction with the Executive Team (Grand Chief and Deputy Grand Chief) and the Board;
- Preparing monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements and financial reports for senior management and the Board;
- Providing financial advice by actively participating in board meetings, senior management meetings, and other program committees to ensure financial, legal, administration, and risk management obligations are identified and met;
- Providing leadership, direction, and management of the finance, information technology, Gwich’in Services and human resources/corporate services teams, and providing feedback, development, and training opportunities to sustain employee engagement and productivity.
As the ideal candidate, you bring a track record of success over at least ten (10) years in financial accounting, budgeting, tax, compliance, treasury, internal controls, financial planning and analysis, cash flow analysis, risk management, and timely financial and management reporting. You are a Chartered Professional Accountant, ideally with a degree in Business Administration or similar discipline. You have experience overseeing human resources. Information Technology (IT), provision of programming and services for an Indigenous organization and/or corporate services will be valued. You are a capacity building leader with excellent managerial and communication skills and unwavering ethics and integrity will round out the optimal skill set.