Senior Financial Reporting Analyst
Location(s): AER Head Office, Calgary, AB
Employment Type: Full Time – Permanent
Senior Financial Reporting Analyst
Join the Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) as the Senior Financial Reporting Analyst in the Finance branch. As a highly valued team member, you will play the essential role of ensuring the AER meets all relevant financial reporting standards and guidelines and its financial controls are operating efficiently and effectively as you bring your fresh ideas and perspectives towards financial reporting function and modernization of internal controls. This is a chance to be part of changes that will bring real value to the AER!
The Senior Financial Reporting Analyst is a member of the Financial Reporting and Operations team. This role is responsible for managing corporate and financial reporting activities, coordinating year-end audits with external auditors, auditing internal controls over financial reporting, and ensuring accounting and reporting of accounts and transactions are in accordance with Public Sector Accounting Standards (PSAB) & Government of Alberta (GoA) directives and policies.
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and year-end financial statements in adherence with appropriate accounting standards (PSAS).
- Analyze financial results and account balances and hold discussions with team members to ensure that these accounts are properly recorded, and variances in account balances can be corroborated and explained.
- Ensure AER’s compliance with GoA reporting and financial administration requirements.
- Work with the Department of Energy to ensure that complex reporting issues are accounted for in accordance with GoA’s requirements.
- Coordinate financial-related audits (pension audit, year-end audit etc.). Provide financial reporting information to the Alberta Treasury Board and Finance, the Department of Energy and the Office of Auditor General and other stakeholders as required.
- Oversee the development and implementation of new accounting standards, policies, processes, procedures and controls and manage change.
- Review non-routine accounting transactions and determine their appropriate accounting treatment.
- Identify and contribute to the ongoing development of existing financial systems, processes and controls to enhance reporting and planning capabilities.
- Develop financial systems, processes and controls to enhance reporting and planning capabilities, ensure compliance with PSAS and decrease the risk of misstatement of AER’s Financial Statements.
- Monitor effectiveness and efficiency of internal controls. Perform audit of internal controls over financial reporting.
- As required, assist manager, financial reporting, and operations in fulfilling Financial Reporting and Operations responsibilities, tasks, and initiatives.
- Related Bachelor’s degree and professional accounting designation (CPA) with a minimum of 7 years of related experience.
- Strong understanding and knowledge of accounting principles, financial processes, and controls.
- Proficient in the interpretation and application of accounting standards.
- Strong attention to details combined with the ability to see the big picture.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, as well as written and verbal communication skills.
- Pro-active approach to identifying issues and potential for improvement and taking ownership to resolve.
Additional Requirements and Information:
- All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada at the time of application.
- This position will be subject to pre-employment background screening, including a criminal record check and a financial security check.
- The Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) has aligned with the Government of Alberta’s proof of vaccination requirements and has implemented a COVID-19 vaccination policy effective November 30, 2021. This policy is an effective way for us to help protect our employees, industry partners, and Albertans. Employees have three options to be in compliance with the new policy:
1. Provide proof of vaccination
2. Submit an exemption request for an accommodation and upon approval
3. Participate in ongoing COVID testing at the employee’s expense prior to accessing an AER office or stakeholder site.
- New hires who are unable to be vaccinated due to a medical reason, or for another protected ground under the Alberta Human Rights Act, will be reasonably accommodated.
- New hires will be required to disclose choice of compliance to their leader on first date of employment, which may include proof of vaccination. Those requesting exemption must identify at time of offer acceptance and follow appropriate application process. If exemption is denied, employees must choose to comply with the policy through vaccination or testing at employee’s expense.
AER Hybrid Work Model Trial
We understand the way we do our work has changed and our employees are looking for flexibility with a blend of in-office and remote work. Following the work from home orders being lifted, the AER will be trialing a hybrid work model to live, learn and adapt our flexible work arrangements in a way that works for our business and our employees.
What does our hybrid work trial model look like?
- Combination of in-office and remote work based on your preference and business needs!
- Flexible work hours, while committing to being available during our core hours of 9:00am – 3:00pm
If you choose to participate in the hybrid model, you will:
- Be provided with an AER computer or laptop when working in the office.
- Need to have access to a personal computer when working from home (unless assigned an AER laptop - dependant on business need).
- Have a high-speed internet connection with a minimum of 50 Mbps for downloads and 30 Mbps for uploads when working remotely.
Benefits at the AER
- Defined benefit pension plan(s)
- Personal spending account
- Flexible benefits program
- Work/Life Balance time off programs
- Healthcare spending account
- Voluntary Group Savings Programs
- Employee & Family Assistance Program
- Visit our careers page for more details on all the AER has to offer!
For Internal Applicants Only
- Under the AER’s Classification Framework this position is a an SP4, Level 6
- In the event a current AER employee would like to apply for an internal posting, the employee will inform their leader prior to submitting their application.
- Please note: Should an individual with the required qualifications not be available, applicants with closely related qualifications may be considered. As a result, the position may be redesigned and/or reclassified.
Please note, this job advertisement will close January 24, 2022 at midnight.