- Competitive-Benefits, RRSP, Gym Discount and more!
- Job Industry
- Public Accounting
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
We’re a team of the brightest minds in Edmonton who are on a journey to change the way accounting is done in the world of small business. If you’re looking for a firm that will give you real responsibility from day one and develop your professional acumen, this is the place to be. Our innovative and trustworthy way of doing business creates an environment where you can come to do important work that makes a difference in the world.
When you begin with HGA, you’re not only joining a firm that’s changing the way business is done, but you’re also joining at an inflection point. Our culture is deeply supportive, diverse, rich in opportunity and reward, and high in integrity and performance. So, whether you’re helping our businesses find new opportunities, developing relationships with our growing list of clients, or providing expert advice to internal partners, you’ll be working in an environment built on integrity, fairness, and respect. We’re scaling fast and we’re not slowing down anytime soon. In just a few short years, we’ve grown exponentially.
We give our people the tools and support to grow and enrich their careers, so if you have the ambition and drive to succeed, join us and we’ll help you to become your very best. It’s been quite the ride so far and we’re looking for bright, personable, and bubbly individuals who love solving tough problems to join us on this incredible leg of our journey.
We’re on the hunt for a full-time Manager to become a part of the HGA Family and add value to our incredible team. The ideal candidate will take on the position of trusted liaison between partners and clients in reviewing client files, providing technical expertise, and assume leadership roles on complex files. The Manager will report directly to the partners and will mentor our junior and intermediate-level accountants.
Perfect for someone who understands the value of customer service, this individual will enjoy working alongside the partners to support our large range of clients and be equally as invested in who our clients are as people, as well as their business and the 'numbers'. A high level of accountability and initiative will be key to succeed in this role, as well as the ability to navigate and adapt to a fast-paced professional services environment.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Supervising the preparation of financial statements of business clients, reviewing the work of Staff Accountants, and completing complex portions of the file;
- Maintaining high quality control by overseeing and reviewing Compilation and Review Engagements;
- Reviewing Corporate, Personal, Partnership and Trust income tax returns and other tax forms;
- Reviewing, investigating and correcting discrepancies and irregularities in financial entries and reports;
- Making recommendations based on analysis and status of reserves, assets and expenditures;
- Performing technical research, developing and documenting tax planning recommendations for individuals and corporations;
- Assisting with the execution of corporate reorganizations;
- Overseeing the organization and prioritization of the work of Staff Accountants, including the management of engagement costs and billings;
- Mentoring and supporting the professional development needs of Staff Accountants;
- Managing a portfolio of clients, ensuring their needs are met and that relationships and accounts grow and develop; and
- Contributing to the development of new ideas and approaches to improve work processes.
Education & Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant field;
- CA or CPA designation, with a minimum of 5 years public practice experience dealing with the accounting and taxation needs of private companies and their shareholders;
- Comprehensive experience in compilation and review preparation; and
- Experience leading and supervising staff.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Knowledge of relevant accounting frameworks and file documentation best practices;
- Extensive knowledge of Accounting Standards for Private Enterprise (ASPE);
- Proficient in Caseware and Profile;
- Strong business acumen; and
- Strong computer skills (MS Office).
- Focus on client service orientation
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Strong awareness of attention to detail
- Proven ability in results management
- Strong ability to make sound judgement calls, based on experience and critical thinking
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to translate this into mentorship
What We Offer
Benefits & Perks
- Comprehensive benefits package including: Extended Health Care, Dental Care, Disability and Life Insurance, etc..
- Group Registered Retirement Saving Program (RRSP) with company matching
- On-Site Gym with employee discounts and group fitness classes
- On-Site Free Parking
- Wellness Program
HGA is on a mission to provide meaningful and impactful opportunities that drive individuals to grow personally and professionally. We do this by offering competitive total compensation, challenging work, and engaging and collaborative work culture.
Our people are what set us apart, and we believe in providing an inclusive and diverse workplace where all individuals have the opportunity to succeed. We are committed to building and employing an inclusive and diverse work culture to serve our clients with excellence. Joining the HGA team means that everyone is welcome, and we can provide reasonable accommodation during the selection process, upon request, to meet your needs at any stage in the recruitment process.
If you are a passionate professional who is eager and excited to take on a challenging opportunity, this is it!
Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.