Accountant, Lease Accounting - (Calgary, Alberta, Canada)
At Nutrien, our Purpose is to grow our world from the ground up and we do so with safety and integrity as our core values. Nothing is more important than sending our people home safe, every day.
Nutrien is a leading provider of agricultural products, services, and solutions. With approximately 20,000 employees world-wide, we are the largest producer of potash (by capacity) and one of the world’s largest producers of nitrogen and phosphate. We also operate a leading agriculture retail network that services over 500,000 growers.
We harvest the best. Diverse views and experience make us strong. We look for people who have a safety-first mindset, who are collaborative team players, who deliver on their commitments, who are innovators in search of a better way, and who believe in inclusion.
Working at Nutrien will provide you an opportunity to help us Feed the Future, and grow your career.
Reporting to the Senior Lease Accountant, Financial Business Services, the Lease Accountant will be a key member of the team responsible for the lease accounting function globally within Nutrien. They will focus on the accounting, reporting, analysis and compliance aspects of the Corporate and NPK lease portfolio and be responsible for process improvement and participation in lease related projects as they arise.
The Lease Accountant will collaborate with varied stakeholder groups entering lease agreements at both an Operational and Corporate level, ensuring consistent application of accounting policies and procedures relating to the treatment of leases.
What you will do:
- Perform the appropriate accounting and reporting of lease activity (including real estate leases, equipment leases e.g. Rail Cars, lease modifications/renewals, subleases, and acquired leases, etc.) in accordance with the IFRS 16 leases standard as well as US GAAP
- Communicate lease agreement assessments to impacted stakeholders (e.g. Procurement, Plant and Site Administration and Transportation & Logistics) to help ensure accurate accounting and reporting
- Collaborate with the Retail Finance team to ensure consistent application of lease accounting and reporting processes and procedures across Nutrien
- Be responsible for documentation and implementation of lease assessment procedures for new lease agreements
- Assist with the month-end and quarter-end closing of the general ledger, prepare month-end journal entries, and perform analysis of relevant GL accounts to enable reconciliations
- Ensure consistent functional compliance with internal controls, SOX controls and external regulatory environment to maintain accuracy and reliability of financial information
- Assist External Reporting in preparation of disclosures for Nutrien's financial statements
What you will bring:
- Undergraduate degree in business, accounting or finance
- Professional accounting designation
- Minimum 3 to 5 years accounting experience
- Experience with SAP/ECC or S4 Hana is preferred, but experience with another major ERP will be considered
- Knowledge of or experience in lease accounting would be considered an asset
- Experience with operational accounting would be considered an asset
- Experience with the PowerPlan software would be considered an asset
- Ability to understand multiple IFRS standards and concepts including IFRS16, research issues using various resources, and apply research to real life scenarios.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and apply accounting literature and legal concepts to complex accounting transactions
- Ability to multi-task and shift priorities
- Thorough communication and critical thinking skills to draft memos and presentations
- Team player who is detail oriented, with ability to plan work effectively, meet the deadlines assigned, and make sound decisions with little direction
- Capable and proficient understanding of a variety of technology platforms, including Advanced Excel skills
Compensation & Benefits:
We provide an attractive benefits package that includes comprehensive medical, dental, vision coverage, and life insurance and well as disability coverage for positions working more than 30 hours per week. In addition, we have a retirement program that encourages our employees to save for the longer term, with generous matching employer contributions. Our benefit package also demonstrates our culture of care with paid vacation, sick days and holidays as well as paid personal and maternity/parental leaves and an Employee and Family Assistance Program. Details of the benefits package will be shared in the application process.
In addition to base pay, this role is also eligible to participate in our annual incentive plan, consistent with the terms of our plan(s), which provide discretionary award opportunities reflecting components such as performance of the company and the employee. Details will be discussed through the application process.
This information is provided in compliance with applicable state equal pay and pay equity legislation and is the company's good faith and reasonable estimate of the compensation range and benefits offered for this position. The compensation offered to the successful applicant may vary based on factors including experience, skills, education, location, and other job-related reasons. Nutrien also makes internal equity a consideration in all pay decisions.
Are you a good match? Apply today!
Nutrien is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics
This job will remain posted until filled. In accordance with Nutrien policies, you will be required to undergo a background check and may be required to undergo a substance test. Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 is a condition of employment and that proof of vaccination will be required, with minimal exceptions, unless prohibited by applicable law. While we appreciate all applications we receive, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
**EOE race/color/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/disability/veteran