Gateway facilitates big change via small changes and works to ignite diversity advocacy in workplaces to advance inclusion-culture.
Gateway applies integrity and subject matter expertise to support engaged, inclusive workplaces. We assist employers to build Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) capacity and connect them to diversity talent sources to build sustainable workforce strategies and business resilience.
The bookkeeper/payroll clerk will maintain our financial records including day-to-day transactions and reporting requirements as well as completing basic payroll for approximately 40 staff.
This is the sole accounting role at that organization; however, the person occupying the position will receive support from other administrative staff and management and have access to an independent accounting agency for troubleshooting more complex accounting issues.
As Gateway does not have an accounting department, this role will be responsible for a diverse range of financial activities and tasks but have a smaller volume than a more complex organization or business. As such, your days may look very different even if you have some routine accountabilities.
In order to be successful in this role, the individual should have experience with tracking financials that are project based, be equipped to handle basic accounts payable/accounts receivable and have experience with processing salary/hourly payroll.
This position will report to the Executive Director, interface with management staff and have transactional interactions with other staff.
- Record daily financial transactions (AP/AR, payroll)
- Process semi-monthly payroll and issue pay information (pay stubs, T4’s, T4A’s)
- Prepare financials to be used for financial reports
- Assist with budgeting and projections
- Provide recommendations for improvement to processes, accounting practices etc.
Direct Duties: Accounts Payable & Accounts Receivable
- Processing accounts payable including expense/mileage claims, participant payment and financial assistance requests, vendor payments and credit card reconciliations
- Processing accounts receivable including funder payments
Direct Duties: Payroll
- Processing semi-monthly payroll for approximately 40 staff (salary/hourly)
- Updating employee pay and personnel information in payroll software
- Issuing records of employment
- Preparing and issuing yearly T4’s
- Responding to employee pay inquiries
Direct Duties: Financial Reporting & Budgeting
- Prepare monthly/quarterly ledgers
- Support managers with financial reporting
- Assist with yearly budget forecast preparation
- Prepare profit and loss, balance sheet, aging summary, budget vs actuals reports
Direct Duties: Bookkeeping
- Perform bank reconciliations
- Process journal entries as required
What You Can Bring to Gateway
- Desire to build and improve upon processes and take ownership of accounting portfolio
- Payroll and accounting courses are highly desired
- Previous experience with performing a wide range of accounting functions for a small-mid size organization is preferred
- Previous experience with accounting at not-for-profit would be valuable
- QuickBooks experience desired
Gateway Value Proposition
- Competitive salary (to be negotiated based on qualifications)
- Health and dental benefits
- 3 weeks’ vacation and 68 personal hours
- Collaborative peers with a wide range of backgrounds and talents
- Inclusive culture
- Innovative workplace with opportunity for new approaches
Inclusion and Accommodation
Gateway is committed to maintaining a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace where each employee can bring their authentic selves to work and be supported and valued for their contributions. We are an equal opportunity employer which means all qualified applicants will receive consideration regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or other characteristics. Accommodations within our recruitment process and on the job are practiced and applied as needed.
Please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Preferred Start Date: As soon as possible
Competition Closing Date: Open until position filled
Application Process: Send a PDF resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Posting Type: Both external/internal applications will be considered
Hours per week: 5 Days/Week (37.5 Hours)
More search results
Financial Reporting Analyst
Canary Biofuels Inc.
Board Member of Westmount Charter School Society …
Westmount Charter School
Kids Developmental Services Ltd.
Financial Services Specialist
Workers' Compensation Board- Alberta
Vice President & Executive Financial Officer
PFM Executive Search / Panorama Search Partners