Senior Financial Analyst, Private Investment Operations
As we all do our part to limit the spread of COVID-19, AIMCo has adopted a virtual interviewing process.
Do you thrive in a fast-paced environment where your work has a daily impact?
As a Senior Financial Analyst, you will review transactions across our $30bn CDN Private Investment Portfolio that consists of Illiquid Asset classes (Infrastructure; Renewable Resources; Private Equity; Hedge Fund). On a monthly and quarterly basis, you will complete quarterly and annual reporting across multiple jurisdictions and currencies. Additionally, you will prepare the consolidated financial statements for US and Canadian legal entities. As the workflow lead for Illiquid Asset financial reporting, you will ensure all internal and external audit requirements are met.
The Private Investment Operations team readily pursues operational efficiencies and continuous improvement. With a goal of increasing the value-add, the team has recently collaborated with external partners to automate many routine tasks across the team and that shifts the focus to more strategic work. Given the success of recent partnerships, the team is looking for someone who is also passionate about automation, machine learning and the digitization of work.
- Partnering with investment, Treasury and Security Operations teams you will be assisting with the investment closing through documentation review, investment setup, transaction entries and settlements
- Analyzing complex transactions including acquisition and disposition; determining the proper entries for accounting
- Reviewing financial reports from external parties and ensuring timely completion and accuracy of daily reconciliations for various high-volume accounts
- Identifying and investigating reporting discrepancies and determining appropriate course of action on a timely manner
- Preparing US GAAP and IFRS financial statements for private entities on a quarterly, annual, and ad-hoc basis; coordinate and assist with external audit(s)
- Reviewing quarterly reporting packages provided by external managers and updating the market value of fund investments in SCD on a quarterly basis
- Calculating and recoding management fee accrual for private fund investments on a monthly basis; Preparing variance analysis on a quarterly basis
- Responding to enquiries in a timely manner and preparing various month-end and quarter-end reports
- Proactively identifying inefficiencies in operational processes and reconciliation; recommending effective streamline and automated solutions
- Training and guiding junior team members
Ideal Candidate Qualifications
- CPA or CFA Designation is required and 3+ years of experience in accounting or finance field
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting practices and principles, including International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) or US GAAP
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data, prepare financial reports, statements and/or projections, draw conclusions and make recommendations based on information presented
- Understanding of investment asset classes would be a benefit
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Excel skills; ability to use various Excel functions to build spreadsheets and manipulate/analyze large datasets
- Ability to foster effective working relationships internally and externally
- Thrives under pressure, exceptional multi-tasking skills and highly adaptive to changing priorities
- Proven attention to accuracy and detail
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to AIMCo’s core values of excellence, transparency, humility, integrity and collaboration, and inspires the same in others
Success will be based on the candidate’s ability to support the identification of operational efficiencies and opportunities to leverage automation related to private investment accounting, reconciliation and reporting.
Benefits and Rewards
- Exciting special project work and stretch assignments
- Ongoing training and coaching
- Annual educational reimbursement programs
- Health care spending account
- Onsite fitness facilities
AIMCo is one of Canada’s largest and most diversified investment managers, with over $130 billion of assets under management for 32 clients, a diverse group of Alberta public sector pension plans, endowment funds, and government accounts representing all Albertans.
We are guided by the core values of excellence, transparency, humility, integrity and collaboration.
AIMCo is mindful and responsive to actively evaluating, assessing and optimizing risk to achieve superior performance for Albertans. We believe that every employee is empowered and accountable for managing risk.
We are excited to meet you. Please submit your resume or CV to be considered for this opportunity. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis and we will be in touch with any questions.
Final candidates will be asked to undergo a security screening, which includes a credit bureau and a criminal record investigation, the results of which must be acceptable to AIMCo.
We are committed to keeping our employees safe and reducing the spread of COVID-19 in our workplace. As such, AIMCo has implemented a mandatory vaccination requirement where any employment offer will be conditional on providing proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 (subject to accommodation requirements) and agreeing to ongoing testing and booster shots.
ALERT - Be on the lookout for AIMCo career opportunities advertised through third parties that request an application fee or too much information. To verify, all opportunities are posted on aimco.ca/jobs
More search results
Manager of Financial Reporting and Analytics
Chilliwack School District 33
Income Tax Auditors, Excise Tax Auditors, Investi…
Canada Revenue Agency
CPA (staff accountant)
MacDonald & Murphy Inc.
CPA or CPA Student
Petluk Clarke LLP
Manager, Corporate Consolidation & Reporting
Government of Alberta (PSC)