- Kootenay Lake School District 8
- Nelson, BC
- Job Industry
Imagine a pristine part of the world, filled with unparalleled beauty. Lush with outdoor and indoor opportunities, a thriving cultural presence and opportunities for young and old, the Kootenays attract people from all over the world who want to make this their home. Now imagine being part of a visionary, creative team with a focus on providing the best opportunities we can possibly create on behalf of our students. Can you see yourself thriving in this kind of environment? If so we invite you to consider joining us in our quest to be a leader in public education.
Due to the resignation of our Secretary Treasurer/CFO, the Board of Education invites applications for this position. Duties will commence February 15, 2022 or as mutually agreed.
Original job posting can be found on Make a Future at https://bit.ly/3E5RXbW.
The Secretary-Treasurer/CFO is an integral member of the senior executive team, responsible for the financial, legal, facilities, transportation, technology, and business activities of the district, as well as being the corporate secretary to the Board of Education.
In our district, we work towards the goals of learning, organizational excellence, relationships and engagement which we believe will best provide the sustenance for each student’s success. Our mission focuses on excellence for all learners in a nurturing environment.
The district spans a large geographic area. Located in the southern east corner of BC, Kootenay Lake serves the individual communities of Crawford Bay, Creston, Kaslo, Meadow Creek, Nelson, Salmo, Slocan, South Slocan, Winlaw, Wynndel, Yahk and the surrounding rural areas.
The district offers programs in 13 elementary, 3 elementary-secondary, 1 middle, 1 middle-secondary and 3 secondary schools, and distance education to over 5,400 students. The district has an annual budget of $72,000,000 and employs approximately 900 staff.
The mountains, lakes and valleys within the district make it a natural setting for fabulous, year-round outdoor activities. Our area is a beautiful, vibrant, fantastic place to raise children. As well, we are a renowned arts and entertainment community.
The city of Nelson, where the office is located, is nestled among the Selkirk Mountains on the shores of majestic Kootenay Lake. Outdoor activities include local hot springs, boating and fishing, skiing, camping, hiking and golf. The other communities offer the same along with individual cultures and a more rural lifestyle.
The Board of Education
Nine Trustees represent and support the different communities within the District. Each community has a unique identity and culture, and each demonstrates a strong commitment to public education. The Board of Education is proud of its efforts to work collaboratively with educational partners with a high degree of transparency. The Board’s practices are guided by its values of Educational Success, Creativity & Imagination, Engaged Citizenship and Resiliency, and its Learning Goals of Literacy, Numeracy, Indigenization and Inclusion. This is summarized in its mission: “We focus on excellence for all learners in a nurturing environment”. An established Strategic Plan guides our work.
The Board is seeking a skilled financial leader who will build strong relationships within the district and with the communities we serve. The successful candidate will have business and financial acumen coupled with a strong sense of accountability and transparency for the utilization of resources. Also required is a commitment to providing business and operations functions that support the success of each student. The successful candidate will possess:
- A professional accounting designation CPA, or strong equivalency of education and experience
- At least five years progressive management level experience in finance and business operations
- Knowledge, experience, and skills to support the Board’s governance functions, labour relations and legal matters
- A record of valuing diversity and engaging in consultative processes where all voices can be heard.
- The ability to build strong and effective teams and to work effectively within a leadership team
- A history of building trusting and respectful relationships
- Strong organization skills and a record of completing a variety of diverse projects on schedule
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated confidence in sharing financial information in a clear and transparent manner that supports shared understandings and effective decision making.
- Creativity, flexibility and effective problem-solving skills
- A record of treating people with respect, empathy, fairness, and compassion
It is desirable for the successful candidate to have experience in a public sector organization preferably in the K-12 educational system. You will receive further insights by viewing the Leadership Competencies for School District 8 and the Job Description for the Secretary Treasurer/CFO
Please submit your cover letter, resume and all documents to email@example.com.
This position will remain ongoing until a suitable candidate is found. Resumes will be reviewed bi-weekly.
Inquiries can be director to our Director of Human Resources or our search advisor.
Chandra Singh Joan Axford
Director of Human Resources Search Advisor
School District 8 supports equity hiring for Indigenous applicants.
The successful applicant will have a Criminal Record Check (submitted by the employer)
To Learn More About the District and Our Area:
• SD8 website: https://www.sd8.bc.ca/
• Crawford Bay: http://artisansofcrawfordbay.com/
• Town of Creston: http://www.creston.ca/
• Village of Kaslo: http://www.kaslo.ca/
• Meadow Creek & Area: Region Website
• City of Nelson: http://www.nelson.ca/
• Village of Salmo: http://salmo.ca/
• Village of Slocan: http://www.slocancity.com/
• Winlaw: www.facebook.com/WinlawBritishColumbia