Legislative Staff Auditor
- Office of the Auditor General
- Edmonton, Alberta
- Starting at $50,073 commensurate with experience
- Job Industry
- Government/Public Administration
- Job Category
- CPA Candidate Position – pre-approved program route
- Job Type
If you are a current CPA candidate or recent graduate wanting to work towards your CPA designation in a supportive environment that enriches your learning experience, respects your individuality and well-being, and where your work matters, your life path leads to one place.
The Office of the Auditor General of Alberta.
Under the guidance of a Senior Staff Auditor, Manager or Engagement Leader, you will apply Canadian Audit Standards (CAS) and audit methodology in a variety of financial statement and performance audits. You will demonstrate your ability to build relationships and obtain knowledge of the auditee's business, including process documentation, perform test of controls, and support year-end procedures.
As a Legislative Staff Auditor, you will work in project-based teams where you will contribute to the planning, execution and reporting of your assigned audit projects, which focus on auditing the Government of Alberta's financial statements. In this role, you will develop strong audit, project management, critical thinking and communication skills as you perform audits that vary in complexity. You will also develop your analytical aptitude for computer assisted auditing techniques and gain exposure to data analytics in auditing. In addition to financial statement audits, you may also have the opportunity to work on performance audits, which audit the management control systems and processes that the government uses to deliver programs and services to Albertans.
SUPPORT ON YOUR JOURNEY
As a member of our team, you will have a personal career advisor and coach at your side helping you learn and develop as a professional. As experienced mentors, we understand the intense pressure students face in balancing their academic, work and personal lives, and we are committed to supporting you professionally and personally. You will also work side-by-side with other students, offering mutual support and fostering collaborative relationships and friendships that will last a lifetime.
- A university degree and successful completion of prerequisite requirements for the CPA Professional Education Program (PEP)
- Current CPA candidates must take PEP electives allowing for the right to practice public accounting (Tax & Assurance electives)
- Ability to work collaboratively with a variety of stakeholders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- Previous related work and/or volunteer experience (including co-op), or government operations experience at the municipal, provincial or federal level
- Previous experience with data analytics
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications
- Demonstrated interest in STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) through completion of related courses
COMPENSATION PLAN INCLUDES:
- A competitive annual salary starting at $50,073, commensurate with experience
- Compensated overtime
- Paid study leave days
- Reimbursement of CPA program modules and fees
- A one-time subsidized allowance to purchase a laptop computer for the CPA program
- Support for professional development, including leading edge in-house training
- Comprehensive benefits plan: 1st Choice Benefits Handbook
- Pension plan
- Health Spending Account (HSA)
- A first-year vacation grant, plus vacation earned each month
- Anticipated start date in March 2022
- Final candidates for this position will be asked to undergo a security clearance.
- Out-of-town and overnight travel within Alberta is required for this position.
- Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume and cover letter outlining why you want to work for the Office of the Auditor General and how you will contribute to the success of our organization. Effective communication skills are essential for this role, and your cover letter and resume will be used to assess your written communication.
Online applications are preferred. If you are a qualified candidate, please email your cover letter and resume as one PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please subject your email as Application: first and last name – Legislative Auditor (i.e. Application: Jane Smith – Legislative Auditor).
We thank all candidates for their interest in our organization; however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Office of the Auditor General is committed to a diverse and inclusive public service that reflects the population we serve to best meet the needs of Albertans. Consider joining a team where diversity, inclusion and innovation are valued and supported. For more information on diversity and inclusion, please visit https://www.alberta.ca/diversity-inclusion-policy.aspx
If you would like further information, please email us at email@example.com.
More search results
Volunteer Treasurer and Board Member for CARFAC A…
Manager, Financial Planning
Volunteer Board of Director (We are growing!)
Alberta CPA Community Ambassadors
Treasurer for Infill Development in Edmonton Asso…
Infill Development In Edmonton Association
Manager, Corporate Consolidation & Reporting
Government of Alberta (PSC)