Financial Services Specialist
Do you want to be a part of a team that embraces change, and seeks to do things better? Are you a design thinker? Are you a CPA of the future?
The Financial Services team manages the reporting and compliance functions related to financial reporting for the organization. Our reporting is based on IFRS accounting standards, with the soon to be adopted IFRS 17. Our compliance activities encompass process overviews for evaluating risks and assessing the existence and effectiveness of internal controls to manage risks.
We are on a journey to evolve our processes and the ways in which we deliver insight to our customers, using technology as an enabler. We believe in meaningful work, automating the transactional, and focusing our expertise on providing insight to the business. We are shaping the future of reporting and compliance at WCB; if you are looking for an opportunity to make a difference, then we have an opportunity for you.
- Provide technical leadership on IFRS accounting issues including, but not limited to, recommending accounting treatment and the resulting process changes and documentation for new accounting standards / new business transactions; support recommendations with the associated analysis in a format that facilitates management decision making; train and mentor accounting staff in the application of approved recommendations
- Prepare the monthly and annual financial statements, including detailed working papers, commentary and variance analysis in a summarized format to facilitate decision making.
- Plays a key role in the year end audit process including, but not limited to, the development of the Management, Discussion and Analysis (MD&A), and the external financial statements that form part of the Annual Report, ensuring the on-time production of a high quality and accurate report; as well as participating and facilitating responses to external audit queries.
- Leads monthly meetings with Finance Division management to discuss financial statements.
- Researches and prepares technical and management discussion papers regarding financial analysis to ensure these processes and financial tools are effective in meeting the business needs of the organization.
- Supports budget and forecast updates to financial statements, by coordinating with the Financial Planning and Performance team.
- Leads in the delivery of the annual ICOFR program, annual reviews and updates to the Levels of Authority, and semi-annual risk of fraud assessments. Project manages deliverables through the applicable assignment of action items.
- Project manages the annual audit deliverables, annual reviews and updates to Travel & Subsistence, and various guidelines (e.g., EERS, Board expenses, Executive expense disclosure)
- Participate in projects as assigned, as well as perform analysis on requests from various stakeholders. These would include the review of business cases, project charters, contracts, and various types of other requests, with a keen eye to evaluating and providing guidance on accounting treatment, budgetary impacts, and financial risk and controls.
Your experience and skills:
- University degree in Business; specialization in accounting and business analytics would be an asset.
- CPA designation.
- At least 5 years of experience in financial accounting under IFRS, including effective research and recommendation of accounting policies and practices; preparation of complex financial statement working papers; financial analysis; and preparation of budgets.
- Advanced experience in the use of excel, as well as experience with Power BI, and the analytic tools available within Microsoft 365.
- Solid understanding around the importance of data management in the context of financial analysis and reporting.
- Ability to learn quickly when faced with problems and ambiguity.
- Effective written and verbal communication and presentation skills, including the ability to explain complex concepts to non-technical staff, and deliver reports suitable for decision making.
- Well-developed team management skills, including the ability to prioritize, plan and organize required deliverables and to delegate effectively.
- Strong interpersonal, customer service, and consulting skills.
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills, as well as creativity in identifying solutions, with proven decision-making ability.
- Ability to remain composed when faced with unexpected problems and work effectively through stressful situations.
- Experience with Workday Adaptive Planning and IFMS PeopleSoft would be an asset.
Over 93% of our staff agrees that WCB is a great place to work. We offer competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package, work-life balance, supportive leadership and a caring and collaborative work environment. For more information, please see our Employee Handbook on our website: https://www.wcb.ab.ca/assets/pdfs/public/employee_handbook.pdf
SALARY: Grade 12 Start Rate: $81,888 to Job Rate: $96,324 per annum
Note: WCB has implemented a COVID-19 vaccination protocol. Following acceptance of employment, successful candidates are required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination or a negative COVID-19 PCR test (at the employee’s cost) taken up to 72 hours prior to entering any WCB building on scheduled days in the office. Final candidates for this position will be asked to undergo a security clearance and credit check.
Please apply online by submitting a cover letter and resume to https://www.wcb.ab.ca/about-wcb/careers/
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Closing Date: Please submit your application by 11:59pm on February 20, 2022.
More search results
Senior Financial Analyst, Accounting Policy Compl…
Financial Analyst, Accounting Policy Compliance
Manager, Accounting Policy Compliance
Financial Reporting Analyst
Senior Financial Analyst, Acquisition and Integra…