Board Member of Westmount Charter School Society (Public Charter School)
Opportunities exist for individuals who wish to serve on the Board of Directors of Westmount Charter School Society (“Westmount”). Candidates for these positions must have experience and expertise related to one or more of the following areas:
- Professional experience or training in education of gifted students
- Experience and expertise in business-related matters, including but not limited to, backgrounds in finance, public or government affairs or human resources
- Expertise in legal matters
- Expertise in school administration
- Parenting of and/or advocating for gifted children
Refer to the school website www.westmountcharter.com for more information.
The Westmount Charter Board is responsible for governing the School authority in accordance with the Education Act, Charter Schools Regulation, the Charter agreed upon with Alberta Education and Westmount’s Bylaws. The Board is responsible for establishing policy, ensuring the goals of the School are met, approving the annual budget and annual financial statements, and monitoring the School’s adherence to the Charter.
Westmount’s Charter Board is comprised of eight to ten (8-10) elected volunteer members, three to four (3-4) of whom must be parents of a student attending Westmount and five to seven (5-7) of whom must be community members who do not have any children attending Westmount. Board members serve overlapping three-year terms and participate in monthly regular Board meetings as well as periodic Board Committee meetings.
The Charter Board’s Nominating Committee is currently seeking applications from candidates interested in running for election. The election will take place in April/May 2022 with results announced by May 31, 2022. Successful candidates’ terms will run from June 1, 2022 to May 31, 2025.
Three (3) positions are available this year:
- Two (2) positions must be filled by community members who currently do not have, and in the 2022/23 school year will not have, any children attending Westmount;
- One (1) position must be filled by a parent who have at least one child attending Westmount.
All interested applicants must provide all of the following:
- confirmation of residency in the City of Calgary;
- a resume or curriculum vitae;
- a completed Expression of Interest form;
- a statement describing one’s background, commitment to board membership and the nature of their commitment to education of the gifted; and
- either [i] a police information check from the Calgary Police Service or Royal Canadian Mounted Police dated after September 1, 2021 or [ii] evidence of a police information check from the Calgary Police Service or Royal Canadian Mounted Police ordered on or before February 9, 2022 (no alternatives or late documentation will be accepted).
Incomplete applications, late applications and applicants where their residency is outside of the City of Calgary will be disqualified. The Nominating Committee will review only fully complete applications. After its review, the Nominating Committee will present a list of qualified candidates to the Charter Board. An election will be held if the numbers of qualified candidates exceed the number of available positions.
Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted until 11:00 am MST, February 9, 2022.
- Application form: Call for Board Candidates (147kb) (the link will open in a new window)