Manager, Financial Services – Payroll & Accounts Payable
- Okanagan College
- Kelowna, BC
- Typical Hiring Range $89,946 to $99,939.
- Job Industry
- Job Type
Okanagan College transforms lives and communities. We are one of Canada's leading colleges. We create outstanding educational experiences for our learners, both students and employees. We work and learn in a welcoming and caring culture. We are a catalyst for change through collaboration with our learners and partners. We serve, lead and anticipate the social, economic and environmental needs of communities.
Manager, Financial Services – Payroll & Accounts Payable
Under the limited direction of the Controller, the Manager is responsible for the overall day to day operational management of the College’s payroll and accounts payable systems and functions including financial reporting, analysis, forecasting, and variance analysis as well as, developing and maintaining internal controls, and creating best accounting practices in accordance with the mission, values, goals and policies of Okanagan College.
The Manager is accountable for maintaining expertise and current knowledge of Canadian accounting standards for not-for-profit organizations (ASNPO), Public Sector Accounting Standards (PSAS), Canada Revenue Regulations, federal and provincial tax, Canadian Payroll regulations, collective agreements, policies, procedures and related technical information.
Education and Experience:
Completion of an accounting related degree (Business Administration or Commerce) and/or relevant prerequisites to commence the Chartered Professional Accounting (CPA) designation.
Six years of related, progressive experience including 2 years in a supervisory or management position.
Functions and Duties:
1. Manages and directs the payroll and accounts payable support staff. This position is responsible for all personnel related matters including recruitment, orientation, training, coaching, assignments, workload, monitoring quality and timelines, managing employee performance, performance objectives, and professional development recommendations.
2. Coordinates the payroll processes such as: the bi-weekly payroll process; retirement payments, T4’s, payroll recoveries and the Deferred Salary Leave Plan.
3. Coordinates the Accounts Payable activities such as: reviewing cheque run transactions, direct deposits and related registers; monitoring visa transactions and reporting; preparing T4A’s for contract personnel; and, monitoring compliance to College policies and tax regulations. Investigate anomalies and suspicious transactions.
4. Ensures financial transactions and reporting is accurate, complete, timely and compliant. Actively monitors transactions for compliance to College policy and procedures including fraud detection.
5. Reviews and approves bi-weekly payroll, weekly payments to vendors, general ledger account reconciliations, journal entries, remittances, and accounting records. Investigate anomalies and suspicious transactions.
6. Coordinates the year-end process by reviewing working papers, analyzing and explaining variances to external auditors and preparing supporting documents for the overall salary and benefits for the College.
7. Prepares and coordinates regulatory financial reports, such as: Revenue Canada Government Sales Tax; Statistics Canada; Provincial Sales Tax; T4/T4A Summaries; WorkSafe BC; union remittances and billing, and the annual Statement of Financial Information (SOFI) report.
8. Takes corrective action to ensure the accurate and fair reflection of all financial records and reports.
9. Supports the Controller by providing backup to review operating activities for the Foundation. Activities include but are not limited to reviewing weekly and monthly transactions and transfers, reviewing procedures and following up on fundraising activities.
10. Provides advice to the College community related to determining employee/employer relationships, taxability of expenses and coordinates and researches information related to payroll recoveries and repayment plans.
11. Coordinates the development, maintenance, and management of the College’s payroll and payable information systems. Liaises with software providers on anomalies and issues, and takes corrective action. Provides training to internal users.
12. Coordinates the development, maintenance, and management of 3rd party systems. These systems include but are not limited to Centre Suite, Etrieve, Intellicheck and other payroll and accounts payable systems. Provides training to internal users.
13. Recommends revisions and/or clarification of the Colleges practices, procedures and policies.
14. Acts as a resource to the Director, Controllers and to other Managers within Financial Services.
15. Conducts research and compiles relevant data for various special projects.
16. Maintains effective working relationships within Okanagan College.
17. Fosters an environment of teamwork and high ethical standards.
18. Participates in OC Committees and various ad-hoc committees, teams and task forces.
19. Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated positive leadership, supervisory and management skills
- Strong problem solving and project management skills
- Strong knowledge of Canadian Tax regulations, Canadian Payroll regulations, collective agreement interpretation and excel skills
- Team player with an aptitude for working in a collaborative environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to establish effective business relationships
- Entrepreneurial spirit
Exempt - Continuing Full-time
Appointment Start Date:
M-F, 8:00 to 4:00 or 8:30 to 4:30
Annual Salary/Hourly Rate:
Range $74,954 to $99,939. Typical Hiring Range $89,946 to $99,939.
Posting Opening Date:
Posting Closing Date:
Open Until Filled
To apply for this position, please go to the following website: https://www.employmentopportunities.okanagan.bc.ca and complete an on-line application.