Supervisor, Business Operations
Competition number: 268-2022-EXT-FSS
Closing date: 05/23/2022
Job type: Permanent Full-time
Department: Financial and Strategic Services
Pay range: $50.93 to $63.67 per hour ($92,692.60 to $115,879.40 per year)
Hours: 35 hours per week
This posting is for 1 Permanent, Full-time position
The Supervisor, Business Operations is a leadership position in the Financial and Strategic Services department that is responsible for managing and overseeing the financial partnerships with operational departments. This includes providing strategic financial advice and complex analysis that contributes to evidence-based decision making and leading the financial oversight of off-site development levies, insurance and various financial policies to ensure compliance with relevant legislation, accounting standards and Strathcona County policies while also balancing operational requirements. The Supervisor, Business Operations will provide expertise by contributing to the planning and delivery of comprehensive financial services for Strathcona County.
- Lead the financial oversight of the off-site development levies and over-expenditures by providing high level, strategic financial advice to ensure long-term sustainability and alignment with financial plans
- Partner with Planning and Development Services and other stakeholders to address and develop off-site development levy principles, rates and bylaws
- Manage the tracking, reporting and accounting of over-expenditures in accordance with County policies and procedures
- Manage and provide advice regarding the review, update and implementation of financial policies and associated directives and procedures
- Provide advice and recommendations, coordinate stakeholder engagement, and prepare policies and reports for the Chief Financial Officer, Senior Leadership Team, Executive Team and Council to facilitate approval and implementation
- Provide strategic collaborative advice to financial and non-financial staff to ensure compliance with various financial polices, directives and procedures
- Support evidence-based decision making through complex financial analysis and oversight to contribute to financial viability and sustainability
- Provide high level financial oversight and advice to maintain and enhance complex financial models and corporate projects to support evidence-based decision making
- Manage the County’s insurance function including overseeing the analysis of insurance coverage and interpretation of policy coverage
- Supervise staff to ensure the accuracy and timeliness of information, efficient use of resources and high level of customer service
- Promote excellent customer service and provide sound advise, direction and assistance to departments and staff throughout the organization
- Support the Manager of Financial Operations, Director of Financial and Strategic Services, and other senior representatives in achieving the goals of the branch, department and County
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to provide leadership for the development and management of corporate financial policies, directives and procedures; off-site development levies; insurance; and complex financial analysis used for evidence-based decisions
- Comprehensive knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, Public Sector Accounting Standards, the Municipal Government Act, and an ability to apply this knowledge
- Excellent communication and presentation skills to provide accurate, clear and concise recommendations and supporting analyses in written and oral presentations
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of financial accounting, budgeting and reporting techniques
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with a solution-oriented focus and the ability to foster productive relationships with all levels in the organization, including leading teams and cross-department workgroups
- Strategic, critical thinking and analytical skills, including the ability to analyze a variety of information and recommend a course of action consistent with corporate business and strategic plans
- Strong supervisory skills to provide direction, train, coach and motivate staff
- Sound understanding of software, computers and financial information/integrated ERP systems
- A Professional Accounting Designation (CPA, CGA, CMA, CA)
- A related Post-Secondary Degree with a minimum of 7 years related experience post designation, including financial analysis, budgeting, forecasting and reporting, preferably within a municipal environment
- Supervisory experience is an asset
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered.
Successful candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in the resume.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #268-2022-EXT-FSS closes May 23, 2022
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
Candidates are encouraged to submit a cover letter along with their resume.