Calgary Economic Development is an opportunity-maker, helping to spark and fuel Calgary’s growth. Our job is to connect people with resources that can help them grow their careers or businesses, thrive in new locations or markets, and feel at home in our community. We offer a wealth of information to help everyone succeed and we tirelessly promote Calgary, in Canada and around the world. We’re exhilarated about our role in shaping and sharing Calgary’s story and we’re proud to be part of the energy.
We’re looking for an enthusiastic and very organized Finance Coordinator to join our Corporate Projects team to help us tell Calgary’s story as a great place to make a living and make a life.
This term position runs until June 30, 2023.
As the Finance Coordinator of the award-winning EDGE UP 2.0 program, you will provide accounting and administrative support. This position reports to the Director of EDGE UP with a dotted line to the VP, Finance of CED.
The EDGE UP 2.0 (Energy to Digital Growth Education and Upskilling) program is a partnership driven, short-duration skills development program to support professionals who have been displaced from the energy sector in Calgary, by providing training to help them transition their careers for high-demand, high-growth technology opportunities.
- Processes all invoices and expense statements, including preparing, printing and obtaining appropriate finance approvals on all items.
- Collects, prepares, verifies, and coordinates data input that relates to disbursements of payments to partners, as well as vender management including banking information, invoices and reporting.
- Coordinate vendor contract workflow through internal processes and with external parties.
- Data management with CED’s CRM policies may be required.
- Administration of funds including partner and program-related disbursements.
- Prepares and process electronic funds transfers, wires and bill payments.
- Collects outstanding invoices and reconciles vendor accounts and conducts analysis of actions.
- Manages and tracks all incoming purchase orders and invoices to ensure proper approval and compliance with corporate policies & procedure.
- Performs month end tasks such as accruals, adjustments, journal entries and reconciliations.
- Liaises with bank on financial payable activities.
- Assists in managing the external audit processes of the program and ensure audit requirements are met.
- Assists in the preparation of all requested financial reports to the Director EDGE UP, CED management and external funding partners.
- Assists in monitoring and preparing reports to ensure budgets and forecasts are on track. Maintain complete files, plans and records, and support the Director EDGE UP in tracking partner activities as requested.
- Provides administrative support to team members by gathering information, preparing correspondence, reports & other documents, for sharing with program partners.
Let’s Talk About You
You are a team player. You are proactive and a results-driven professional who has been developing your financial skills. You will ensure budgets and forecasts are on track. You are looking for a position that will combine your extraordinary organizational skills with broad finance and accounting experience as you grow in your career.
You have a passion for our city and are excited at the prospect of working on projects that build on the energy and success of our community. You are collaborative and thrive in a fast-paced environment and can manage multiple projects with ease.
- Post-secondary education and/or, working towards, or completion of, an accounting designation (CPA/CMA/CGA) would be an asset.
- Minimum of 2 years of progressively responsible experience in the area of accounting during which time professional capability has been clearly demonstrated.
- Experience with computerized financial management systems such as QuickBooks would be a key asset.
- 1 year providing finance and administrative support.
- Experience working with government contracts would be an asset.
Note: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Proven ability to manage all aspects of corporate accounting.
- Knowledge of accounting and financial principles.
- Demonstrated experience with internal financial processes and controls.
- Working with finance information systems for tracking financial data and preparing reports.
- Demonstrated computer proficiency (MS Office, Windows, QuickBooks would be an asset).
- Sound relationship-building skills and demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with peers, other departments, and stakeholder groups.
- Demonstrated ability to establish priorities for own workload based upon need for immediate action, work objectives and schedules requiring independent judgment.
- Experience working effectively in a fast-paced environment and during stressful periods, while maintaining a composed disposition.
- Demonstrated end-user computer proficiency and basic technology principles.
Unique Working Conditions:
This type of work doesn’t always happen between 9 and 5. On occasion, this position may require long and/or irregular hours including attendance at business functions, meetings or special events. The successful candidate works effectively within a team environment and maintains composure when under pressure. The successful candidate must be able to balance and prioritize demands for information from a variety of sources, both internal and external, and deal effectively with politically sensitive as well as confidential information.
Interested candidates should submit their cover letter and resume by 9 AM Monday May 30 in confidence at: https://calgaryeconomic.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=139