Manager, Finance and Reporting
Manager, Finance and Reporting
The Alberta Securities Commission is the industry-funded regulator responsible for administering the province's securities laws. It is entrusted with fostering a fair and efficient capital market in Alberta and with protecting investors. As a member of the Canadian Securities Administrators, the ASC works to improve, coordinate and harmonize the regulation of Canada's capital markets.
The Financial Services department is responsible for effective internal control over financial reporting, annual budget preparation, administration of investment manager reporting and relations, and accurate and timely financial reporting to senior management, Commission Members, the Minister of Finance and other stakeholders.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Manager, Finance and Reporting is responsible for financial reporting, annual budget preparation, investment management and maintaining effective internal control over financial reporting. This position will prepare all financial results, analysis and recommendations and participate in decisions of financial significance. In addition, this role will lead a team consisting of accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll.
Key responsibilities include:
- Managing the Financial Services department, including all financial transactions processing, to ensure appropriate systems are in place to support the preparation and reporting of financial results.
- Providing advice, direction and support to the team including regular one-on-one and team meetings; setting goals; acting on human resource issues; recruitment; evaluating work performance; and providing direction, support, and feedback to employees utilizing established ASC policies and procedures.
- Preparing and drafting monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements
- Handling the Enterprise Risk Management Program.
- Acting as a liaison between the ASC and Alberta Finance on reporting financial results, business plans, budgeting and other matters.
- Assisting the CFO in the oversight and management of ASC’s investments, subject to policy guidelines as set by Board members.
- Ensuring ASC’s accounts are prepared and audited in a timely fashion.
- Maintaining current knowledge of accounting standards and practices to recommend appropriate accounting and financial policies for the ASC.
- Evaluating internal processes to seek opportunities for process improvements and accounting automation.
- Providing a culture of service excellence to all internal and external stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation with 4 to 6 years post designation experience.
- Two or more years of recent management and financial reporting experience.
- A background working in a public accounting firm in an accounting or auditing role and industry experience would be an asset.
- The ability to manage multiple internal projects to improve Financial Services processes.
- Demonstrated knowledge in various accounting systems and accounting automation.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a proven ability to demonstrate a high level of customer focus.
- Strong leadership and people management skills sufficient to lead a team to achieve strategic, department objectives in a manner consistent with the ASC’s values and strategies.
At the ASC, we offer a hybrid work environment and flexibility. Competitive total rewards package including 100 per cent employer-paid benefits such as comprehensive health and dental, employee life insurance, short-term and long-term disability; retirement benefits; travel insurance; paid vacation time, flex and sick days; an employee family assistance program; transportation allowance, generous flexible spending account and professional development through subsidised courses, conference, workshops, seminars and in-house training. We also encourage fun and giving back to the community with initiatives offered through our ASC Social Club and yearly United Way Campaign.
Visit our website to submit your resume, cover letter and salary expectations by May 27, 2022. This position will work out of the ASC office located in Calgary, Alberta. You will be contacted if you are selected for an interview. More information about working at the ASC including our comprehensive Total Rewards package can be found on our website at www.asc.ca.