Financial Reporting Analyst
At Parkland, our purpose is to Power Journeys & Energize Communities. We are a prominent independent supplier and marketer of fuel and petroleum products and a leading convenience store operator. As One Parkland team, we proudly serve diverse retail, commercial and wholesale customers across Canada, the United States, the Caribbean region, and South America. We power a growing family of locally known brands including M&M Food Market, Fas Gas Plus, Pioneer, RaceTrac, Superpumper, Ultramar, Chevron, Esso, and ON the RUN.
We recognize that diversity gives us an edge and inclusion propels us forward. We’re also a passionate team of down-to-earth achievers, committed to getting our customers, colleagues and communities further, faster. As such, we welcome talented individuals that have a variety of perspectives, backgrounds, and industry experience who will contribute to the success of our One Parkland team.
Position Title: Financial Reporting Analyst
Team and Location: Finance – Calgary, AB
Reporting to the Manager, Financial Reporting, the Financial Reporting Analyst will be a key member of the Corporate Finance and Financial Reporting team, working closely with other teams within Parkland. To support Parkland’s growing operations, this role will be responsible for Parkland’s lease accounting and other reporting requirements. The Financial Reporting Analyst will take an active role in accounting and financial reporting for various transactions entered into by Parkland, implementation of system improvement projects, and assisting in special and ad-hoc projects. This is an exciting and challenging opportunity for an ambitious, self-motivated and enthusiastic individual looking for a career and opportunities to learn with a vibrant and fast-growing company.
- Accounting and Financial Reporting - Own the Company's accounting and financial reporting processes, including, but not limited to:
- Overseeing the administration, accounting and reporting for leases for the entire organization (under IFRS 16) in the Lease Harbor Apex system, maintaining lease schedules and calculating lease asset values and ensure all lease information is accurate, complete, and entered in the Apex module on a timely basis, and providing accounting guidance on leases to various departments.
- Assist in preparation of various schedules for month end and financial reporting close processes including:
- cash flow statement.
- asset retirements obligation.
- debt and equity.
- stock based compensation.
- intercompany transactions.
- acquisition costs etc.
- Liaise with other business units and assist in preparation of information to be reported to Statistics Canada.
- Assist with the financial reporting team in performing technical accounting research for new complex transactions in consultation with the technical accounting team.
- Preparing various supporting schedules and reports required for the quarterly and annual financial statement and MD&A disclosures in Workiva and perform financial statement tie outs.
- Responding to and supporting external and internal auditor requests.
- Develop and formalize accounting policies in collaboration with the Technical Accounting Team.
- Perform detailed assessment of accounting for transactions under US GAAP and IFRS.
- Projects and others
- Design and implement an efficient process for accounting for transactions (including new transaction) and ensuring business needs are being met timely with involvement from all stakeholders.
- Actively participate in process and system improvement projects; develop and enhance procedures to ensure a high standard of data accuracy and efficiencies as required.
- Update process narratives for Corporate Finance Processes and improve the C-SOX certification process.
Qualifications and Skills:
- University/college degree in business, accounting or related area.
- 4 years of relevant public accounting, auditing, or industry experience.
- Knowledge and experience working with IFRS/ US GAAP. Strong understanding of lease accounting under IFRS 16 is preferred.
- Understanding of journal entries, intercompany transactions, and account reconciliations.
- Completed or working towards a CPA or equivalent designation.
Skills and Attributes required:
- Excellent Excel skills.
- Comfortable working with heavy volumes of data with advanced excel tools.
- Strong attention to detail with ability to manage time and multi-task.
- Ability to work independently and deliver accurate, timely and efficient results.
- Excellent accounting analysis and self-motivated problem-solving skills. Ability to proactively identify, understand and grasp issues, business situations and the overall "big picture".
- Ability to formulate best practice plan and solutions to resolve issues and successfully execute on plans and resolutions.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills, ability to work closely with operational branches across Canada over the phone and email.
- Relentless focus on high quality results, operational excellence and always continually improve on existing processes.
- Strong team player with strong interpersonal skills, willingness to learn and a “can-do” attitude.
- Ability to work on evenings and/or weekends during quarter-ends and/or busy periods.
- Enthusiastic and committed to getting the job done in a dynamic, high-performing environment.
Other optional experiences:
The following skills would be considered assets to the position, though not required:
- Experience with Lease Harbor Apex system.
- Experience with JD Edwards Enterprise One ERP or other relevant ERP system (e.g. SAP).
- Experience with OneStream or other similar consolidation systems (e.g. Hyperion).
- Experience in industries with high volumes of leased assets (e.g. retail, manufacturing, construction, oil/gas, fleet, etc.).
- Experience with high-paced public or growth-orientated companies.
- Our Performance-based Annual Incentive Plan, an annual bonus awarding your performance.
- A share in our success through the Employee Share Purchase Plan and 100% company matching.
- A flexible group benefit plan that offers health and dental coverage choices to meet the needs of each unique employee. Inclusive of life and disability insurances, Health Care and Lifestyle Spending options, and a supportive Employee and Family Assistance Program.
- Participation in Parkland Pledge, an employee-driven charitable giving program.
- An employee referral program – earn up to $2000 for your referral.
- In-house learning and development opportunities, leadership training, international opportunities.
- Discount Programs and Educational Scholarship Programs for family members.
- A safety focused work environment and ongoing safety training.
- Candidates must be legally able to work in Canada at this time. Parkland regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas.
- Parkland Corporation is committed to the principles of Employment Equity. We strive to provide accessibility in employment to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. Parkland Corporation will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability, please notify us upon scheduling your interview.
- Please note that final candidates for this position will be required to undergo a confidential pre-employment background check which may include but not be limited to educational, criminal, credit, drug and alcohol and/or Fitness for Duty testing.