Senior Financial Analyst, Accounting Policy Compliance
At Parkland, our purpose is to Power Journeys & Energize Communities. We are a prominent independent supplier and marketer of fuel and petroleum products and a leading convenience store operator. As One Parkland team, we proudly serve diverse retail, commercial and wholesale customers across Canada, the United States, the Caribbean region, and South America. We power a growing family of locally known brands including Fas Gas Plus, Pioneer, RaceTrac, Superpumper, Ultramar, Chevron, Esso, and ON the RUN.
We recognize that diversity gives us an edge and inclusion propels us forward. We’re also a passionate team of down-to-earth achievers, committed to getting our customers, colleagues and communities further, faster. As such, we welcome talented individuals that have a variety of perspectives, backgrounds, and industry experience who will contribute to the success of our One Parkland team.
Position Title: Senior Financial Analyst, Accounting Policy Compliance
Team and Location: Finance – Calgary, AB
Reporting to the Manager, Accounting Policy Compliance and working closely in a team of 9, the successful candidate will be a key member of the Technical Accounting Team with cross-functional capability helping the Corporate Finance and Reporting teams as required. This role will liaise with finance teams from all of Parkland’s business segments. The role will be responsible for implementing and oversight of corporate-wide accounting policies, contributing to process improvements and special projects and performing routine technical accounting processes.
On as-needed basis, the Senior Financial Analyst, Accounting Policy and Compliance may also assist in the financial statement close cycles, routine and non-routine accounting matters, to ensure company controls and policies are executed based on business needs.
This is an exciting and challenging opportunity for an ambitious, self-motivated and enthusiastic individual who is looking for career growth and opportunities to learn with a vibrant and fast-growing company.
- Drafting and implementing corporate-wide accounting policies for financial statements and MD&A (including drafting policy papers on the new standards).
- Completing monthly/quarterly/annual policy compliance reviews of Parkland divisions to ensure Corporate accounting policies are being followed and resolving any areas of non-compliance through liaising with the divisions.
- Investigating the areas of non-compliance, preparing the assessments and plans to address those.
- Researching and investigating communications from the security regulators.
- Providing and researching ad-hoc accounting advice to other divisions as required in a timely manner.
- Preparing quarterly/annual Audit Committee deliverables.
- Completing other special projects, accounting working papers and tasks as assigned.
- On as needed basis, working with the Financial Reporting team to prepare the quarterly and annual financial statements, MD&A and Audit Committee memos on the key accounting positions as needed. This will include preparing the supporting working papers to ensure disclosures are supported and compliant with IFRS requirements.
- Investigating, researching and analyzing information for the financial statements and MD&A, including coordinating with divisions to obtain information.
- Working closely with the Financial Reporting (FR) team on accounting issues.
- Collaborating with other divisional teams on the accounting policy initiatives to assess their accounting practices against Parkland’s Corporate accounting policies, communicating and resolving any areas of non-compliance.
- Supporting various other Corporate teams, such as Tax, Treasury, Corporate Development, Investor Relations, Integrations, Procurement, Communications and others through providing technical accounting guidance, where requested.
- Responding to both internal and external audit requests as required.
Qualifications and Skills:
- CPA or CPA, CA designation or equivalent.
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant experience in financial reporting, accounting advisory or audit role with the focus on public-company reporting. Preference will be given to those with experience working with companies in high growth or acquisitive environments.
- Strong technical knowledge and experience with IFRS. Experience with US GAAP is a plus.
- Strong understanding of financial statement close processes and accounting matters applicable to public companies.
- Strong technical knowledge base and experience with IFRS accounting, with a focus on:
- IFRS 3,IFRS 9, IFRS 15 and IFRS 16.
- Knowledge of Canadian National Instruments governing the disclosure obligations for Canadian public entities. Knowledge of the US SEC requirements would be considered a plus.
- Experience with JD Edwards EnterpriseOne ERP and OneStream Corporate Performance Management is an asset.
- Experience in accounting for relevant non-financial industries (e.g. retail, manufacturing, marketing, distribution, downstream oil and gas, etc.).
- Excellent accounting analysis and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to proactively identify, understand and grasp issues, problems and see the overall "big picture”.
- Ability to "tell the story" behind the data as well as formulate a plan, solutions and alternatives to resolve issues with the best practices and successfully resolve the issues.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, demonstrating an ability to make complex issues and processes clear and understandable to key stakeholders and decision makers.
- Excellent Excel skills – must be comfortable working with large volumes of data using advanced Excel functions.
- Willingness to learn, improve existing processes, and confront new challenges.
- Self-motivated problem solver with a relentless focus on high quality results and operational excellence.
- Strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to motivate teams when working with all business units and operations.
- Attention to detail with ability to manage time, work independently, and multi-task.
- Ability and willingness to work on evenings and weekends as required by the business.
- Enthusiastic and committed to getting the job done in a fast paced, high-performing, dynamic environment with a willing to "roll up the sleeves" and "get the job done" attitude.
- Our Performance-based Annual Incentive Plan, an annual bonus awarding your performance.
- A share in our success through the Employee Share Purchase Plan and 100% company matching.
- Flexible medical and dental packages, a Health Care Spending Account, along with a supportive Employee and Family Assistance Program.
- A focus on healthy living through wellness initiatives and an annual fitness reimbursement program.
- Participation in Parkland Pledge, an employee-driven charitable giving program.
- An employee referral program – earn up to $2000 for your referral.
- In-house learning and development opportunities, leadership training, international opportunities.
- Discount Programs and Educational Scholarship Programs for family members.
- A safety focused work environment and ongoing safety training.
- Candidates must be legally able to work in Canada at this time. Parkland regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas.
- Parkland Corporation is committed to the principles of Employment Equity. We strive to provide accessibility in employment to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. Parkland Corporation will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability, please notify us upon scheduling your interview.
- Please note that final candidates for this position will be required to undergo a confidential pre-employment background check which may include but not be limited to educational, criminal, credit, drug and alcohol and/or Fitness for Duty testing.