Accounting Services Team Leader
ACCOUNTING SERVICES TEAM LEADER
Position ID: J0622-0670
Job Type: Full Time
Department: Financial Services
Number Of Positions: 1
Closing Date: July 8, 2022
Min Salary: $56.14/Hour
Max Salary: $70.18/Hour
The City of Airdrie fosters a culture of accountability and values open dialogue, innovation and entrepreneurial spirit, collaborative relationships, learning, ownership, and encouraging the heart. We are searching for another team member who will help us get to the next level.
The financial services department provides services to ensure accuracy and integrity of financial transactions and reporting systems and to safeguard the assets of the City for the citizens of Airdrie, our internal customers and regulatory bodies.
The Accounting Services Team Leader is responsible for overseeing the City’s Accounting Services Department including the functions of accounts receivable, accounts payable, the financial management of subsidiary operations, external reporting compliance, safeguarding city assets and maintaining an adequate level of internal controls and governance. This position is responsible for leading the annual process to produce the city’s audited financial statements, coordinating the external audit and reporting results to Senior Leaders and Council Budget Committee.
• Provide strong leadership to direct reports, provide coaching and mentoring through ongoing feedback and empowering employees to achieve outcomes. Encourage collaborative and inclusive relationships
• Act as a people and culture leader, demonstrating and aligning decisions and behaviours with our mission, corporate values and culture. Understand and champion the organization’s governance
• Responsible for the day to day operations of the Accounting Services team including general accounting, accounts receivable and accounts payable
• Oversee the financial management of subsidiary operations
• Responsible for producing the City’s annual report
• Ensuring compliance with all external reporting requirements
• Manage the financial statement audit including reviewing working papers, consolidated statements and schedules
• Review the annual Provincial Financial Information Return as well as other required government tax returns
• Manage the chart of accounts and ensure month end processes are complete and accurate
• Maintain, review and develop internal controls to minimize corporate risk and ensure reliable financial information
• Assist with the preparation of city budgets and quarterly variance analysis as required
• Work directly with the external audit team while maintaining a positive relationship
• Address recommendations identified through the annual audit and adjust processes as needed
• Certified Professional Accountant (CPA)
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Commerce, Accounting or Finance
• A minimum of 5 years of leadership experience in a financial accounting position including the preparation of financial statements
• Advanced analytical skills and an in-depth knowledge of Public Sector Accounting Standards
• Strong working knowledge of mid to large sized financial accounting systems (experience in Great Plains is an asset)
• Experience with major ERP systems is preferred
• Proficient organizational skills with demonstrated ability to handle a variety of complex projects/tasks with competing priorities in a result-based environment
• Previous municipal government experience is preferred
• Ability to effectively deal with a variety of individuals at all levels of the organization as well as officials from outside agencies
• Ability to prepare and deliver presentations to large groups including senior leaders and Council
• Ability to implement positive changes and develop new processes
• The ability to create an environment of transparency and high standards
Along with a competitive compensation program and City paid health and dental premiums, this position also includes:
• Excellent health, dental, paramedical, and benefits plan
• First-in-class pension plan
• Career development and tuition reimbursement
• Employee discounts, gym membership, social events, and health & wellness initiatives
Continuous learning through training and development is encouraged as are flexible work arrangements, when possible. We recognize that our people work best when they feel engaged in their environment and appreciated for their efforts and our overall benefits package reflects that.
This full time (37.5 hours per week) position includes a comprehensive benefits and pension package.
Accompanying your resume, please provide a cover letter as a means of introducing yourself and your interest in this role.
Interviewing may commence prior to the posted closing date.
Candidates are invited to apply online at www.airdrie.ca.