Senior Accountant Program Lead, Treasury & Financial Planning
If you are committed to public service, enjoy collaborating with others, share our values and have a desire to learn and grow, join Sturgeon County. County employees deliver the services, run the programs, and operate the facilities which make a difference in our community.
This position will offer the successful candidate a great opportunity to lead a team of business professionals and be involved in a comprehensive financial planning process.
The primary responsibilities of this position will be to manage the municipal taxation program, oversee and contribute to the annual budget and financial planning process, assist with strategic financial planning, and ensure alignment of planning links to financial reporting objectives.
Please note that this position will close once a suitable candidate is found.
Short & Long-Term Financial Planning
- Oversee and facilitate the annual budget and financial planning process in accordance with internal and external plans, policies, bylaws, and the Municipal Government Act requirements.
- Supervision and mentorship of treasury and financial planning direct reports and other staff as required.
- Develop short- and long-term goals for the treasury and financial planning team incorporating managements goals and objectives, best practices, innovation, and Council’s vision.
- Oversee and assist in treasury management, income and expenditures analysis, and financial recommendations for use in the annual operating and capital budget and long-range financial plans.
- Oversee the annual fees and charges bylaw development, public engagement requirements, and other related sub budget and financial planning processes.
- Collaborate and assist the Corporate Planning team with the annual service enhancements process and financial components of corporate initiatives pertaining to operating and capital projects.
- Responsible for the management of budget and financial planning processes via financial systems to ensure they are effective and appropriate with necessary controls in place.
- Contribute to, facilitate, and present financial information and analysis informally and formally via meetings, presentations, and workshops.
Municipal Revenues & Administration
- Responsible for the oversight, management, coordination, and leadership of administering the municipal property tax program requirements in accordance with necessary timelines, internal processes, policies, bylaws, and Municipal Government Act requirements.
- Supervision and mentorship of tax program members, general administrative staff, and other staff as required.
- Responsible for monthly financial accounting activities pertaining to taxation and general revenue.
- Responsible for tax projections, bylaw development, budget development, collections, agreements, financial reporting, and project work pertaining to the County’s tax program.
- Responsible for the management of administrative and financial systems or modules to ensure they are effective and appropriate with necessary controls in place.
- Apply a comprehensive understanding of the municipal tax and assessment system to provide strategic advice to leadership and Council.
Other Duties as Required
- Responsible for maintaining various financial controls, processes, procedures, policies, directives, and bylaws.
- Assist with financial reporting and audits as required.
- Assist with achieving corporate initiatives, department goals, and special projects as required.
- Perform and review of complex financial calculations, analytical procedures, and reconciliations, and provide evidence-based recommendations if necessary and applicable.
- Work closely with Corporate Finance and Treasury management and financial operations and reporting team to ensure cohesion exists between program responsibilities and organizational understanding.
- Driven, motivated, self starter that can determine necessary course of action in new and unique situations, and effectively determine when feedback or input is required from others.
- Experienced leader that can capitalize on existing talent within a team and motivate staff, at all levels, to continually professional development for the betterment of themselves and the organization.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- Proven ability to analyze complex situations, provide creative and measurable solutions, and effectively negotiate in an objective, logical and sensible manner.
- A successful track record in building and maintaining relationships with diverse stakeholders including direct reports, internal business units, elected officials, businesses and citizens, the community and all levels of government is essential.
- Experience compiling information, communicating, presenting to complex information to a diverse audience.
- This position requires a bachelor’s degree and a CPA, CMA, CGA or CA designation and a minimum of 5 years of relevant accounting and supervisory experience.
- Local government education and/or financial experience would be an asset.