Lead, Enterprise Risk Management and Financial Audit
- University of Alberta
- Edmonton, AB
- Job Industry
- CPA Status
- CPA Member
- Job Type
Lead, Enterprise Risk Management and Financial Audit
IAS - Internal Audit Services
Competition No.: A106948277
Closing Date: Will remain open until filled.
This position is excluded from the bargaining unit.
In accordance with the Handbook of Terms and Conditions of Employment for Management and Professional Staff (Excluded), this full-time continuing position offers a comprehensive benefits package found at Faculty & Staff Benefits and annual salary range which will be commensurate with qualifications.
Location - North campus
Working for the University of Alberta
The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6 territory, and respects the histories, languages and cultures of First Nations, Métis, Inuit and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our vibrant community.
The University of Alberta is teeming with change makers, community builders, and world shapers who lead with purpose each and every day. We are home to more than 40,000 students in 200+ undergraduate and 500+ graduate programs, over 13,000 faculty and staff, 260,000 alumni worldwide and have been recognized as one of Canada's Greenest Employers for over a decade.
Your work will have a meaningful influence on a fascinating cross section of people—from our students and stakeholders, to our renowned researchers and innovators who are quite literally curing diseases, making discoveries and generating solutions that make the world healthier, safer, stronger, and more just.
Internal Audit and Risk Management (IA&RM) executes audits, oversees the university's enterprise risk management framework and conducts investigations into reports of fraud and irregularity. Through these activities we provide tools and insight to protect and enhance institutional value and improve decision-making in pursuit of institutional goals.
There are 4 Centre's of Expertise under this portfolio
Centre of Expertise — Integrated Audit
•Provides independent, objective assurance and consulting services through the four types of audit: operational, financial, information systems, and compliance
Centre of Expertise — Data Analytics
• Provides independent, objective assurance and consulting services in data analytics
Centre of Expertise — Enterprise Risk Management (ERM)
• Works with the university's risk management committee and senior management to identify and analyze institutional risks and control processes
Centre of Expertise — Investigations
• Investigates reports of fraud and irregularity across the university
The Lead, Enterprise Risk Management and Financial Audit position reports to the Executive Director, Internal Audit & Risk Management (IA&RM) to support the mandate of delivering a world-class Internal Audit (IA) and Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Program.
This role has two primary accountabilities: the first being the continued development and implementation of the Enterprise Risk Management function. The second being the development of the annual financial internal audit plan and leading of financial audits and data analytics efforts as required.
Whereas the Executive Director (ED) provides primary leadership and strategy for the two functions, this role is accountable to the ED for designing, delivering and reporting on both a world class ERM function as well as the design and execution of the financial component of the annual Internal Audit plan. In conjunction with the Lead, Integrated Audit, the enhancement of data analytics is a critical strategy for IA&RM and is a primary accountability of this role.
Enterprise Risk Management
• Lead the change in underlying framework and implementation of ERM at the U of A. The U of A has fallen behind peer institutions in maximizing the usefulness of ERM for making better decisions at the executive level. A COSO-ERM/ISO 31000 blended approach has been initiated in the 2021/22 fiscal year and requires dedicated focus to mature the program.
• Work closely with the VP(USF) and PEC-S to define their risk appetites for risks that threaten or provide opportunity for the institution as a whole. This includes strategic risk as well as financial, operational, reputational and people (safety) risk.
• Develop risk identification and collection processes to contextualize risks through their evolution
• Facilitate risk discussions at all levels within the institution and with the PEC-S executive team quarterly in conjunction with the Executive Director, IA&RM
• Accountable for ensuring completeness of the annual Internal Audit Plan of audits from a financial risk and control perspective. The plan is completed by the Executive Director.
• Plan and execute internal audits of an operational, financial, compliance and high-level information technology (non-technical) nature. Identify root cause issues and apply strong business and process acumen to make practical and actionable recommendations to management.
• Accountable for selecting the appropriate criteria against which a process or function will be evaluated through an audit. Consultation with the Executive Director through standard IA review processes is required.
• Perform business process audits and make actionable recommendations to address deficiencies to ensure effective and efficient internal controls exist to address significant risks, including privacy and security
• Lead a team of auditors/consultants to execute internal audits to accomplish audit objectives in the most efficient way (agile methodologies as appropriate). Provide coaching and development for these staff.
• Support the successful completion of a Quality Assessment Review (QAR) in accordance with the IIA standards. This review of Internal Audit is performed by a third party on a five-year cycle with 2026 being a review year.
• Work to enhance relationships with post-secondary, and related-entity, audit groups. This includes maintaining, enhancing and supporting the expectations outlined in a formal Memorandum of Understanding between post-secondary institutions in Alberta regarding internal audit
•Accountable for the development of financial control data analytics routines through the Performance Analytics and Institutional Research (PAIR) office who provide ongoing technical expertise and support. These routines will shape internal audit risk assessments, audit plans, and scoping of audits in the future, as well as provide valuable controls data to process owners.
• Ensure approach and process changes to the Internal Audit function are compliant with the International Professional Practices Framework (IPPF) of the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA).
• Accountable for providing subject matter expertise in financial and financial statement fraud for consideration in Internal Audit plans and analytics functions
• Provide this expertise to the Internal Auditor with primary accountability for fraud investigations.
Leadership and Employee Engagement
• This position is one of two senior roles in IA&RM whereby incumbents will be natural proxies and/or successors to the Executive Director. This position will have the most exposure to executive leadership and the board level of the institution in the team.
• Being IA&RM is a small team with a flat organizational structure, it is critical for this role to provide mentorship and development opportunities (as practicable) to all existing staff to ensure strong skills development across the team.
• Minimum 10 years progressive experience within internal or external audit and/or senior finance or administration management (post-secondary preferred).
• Experience in developing and implementing Enterprise Risk Management programs.
• Financial audit experience (internal or external audit) with a focus on process improvement and the development and deployment of data analytic tools.
• Bachelor's degree in a related field, such as Business, Accounting, Computer Science, Information Systems, Human Resources
• CISA, CFE, CPA, CA, CIA or CHRP certifications.
• Competence in the application of internal control frameworks and/or internal audit processes
• Understands industry-specific and relevant data analytics, business intelligence and quantitative analysis trends, techniques, and leading practices.
• Demonstrated ability to identify and analyze risks, or control weaknesses, and evaluate their impact on business operations.
• Understands internal control frameworks, risk management assessments and governance frameworks
• Strong project and time management skills; demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and priorities.
• Must have professional experience managing resources, effective team interactions, providing timely and constructive feedback, negotiating issues and resolving problems.
• Superior verbal and written communications skills.
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
If interested, please apply: https://apptrkr.com/3269523
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. If suitable Canadian citizens or permanent residents cannot be found, other individuals will be considered. The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, MÃ©tis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency