Finance Manager, Business Financial Analytics
Finance Manager, Business Financial Analytics
Job Number: 44316
The Financial and Corporate Services department provides corporate and business support to the entire organization. Reporting to the Finance Director, Business Financial Analytics, the Finance Manager oversees a team of professionals that provide day to day financial support and direction to the Waste Services utility that delivers waste management solutions that are cost effective, environmentally sustainable and customer focused.
By demonstrating “big picture” thinking on how to apply financial rigor to operating decisions, this role will be accountable for business analytics associated primarily with operating and capital budget development, financial performance and variance reporting, utility rate filings, council reports, financial analysis and business case development.
First year goals and deliverables:
- Lead, influence and collaborate with team resources in the forecasting, long range planning, business strategies and issue resolution for Waste Services
- Analyze financial results against budget to identify variances, trends, year-end projections, and determine historical costs utilized in future utility rate modeling and rate filings
- Provide financial analytics, advice and assistance in the development of sound defensible business cases for new or revised initiatives
- Provide leadership to the Branch Manager and their management team in the development of financial deliverables that align with financial accounting directives and policies
- Anticipate business opportunities, influence policy, planning and initiatives, and foster a culture of accountability
- Build workforce capacity through coaching, mentoring, recognizing accomplishments, and motivating employees to deliver results and achieve their potential
What does success look like?
- Apply knowledge or training and/or education in Finance, Business, or related disciplines
- Chartered Professional Accountant designation - CPA (Formerly CA, CMA, CGA) is required
- Experience within a complex organization, particularly within a utility or regulatory environment, is strongly preferred
- Utilize your financial management experience including your knowledge of financial analytics and business planning development
- Communicate complex financial strategies and information in a clear and easy to understand manner
- Balance strategic planning with executive level consulting and communication skills
- Effectively analyze sensitive issues and respond to, and advise, senior leadership on various matters
- Build a respectful workplace culture through a values-based influencer approach and work collaboratively
- Understand complex municipal and utility subject matter and build effective influential relationships with Council
- Communicate with strong political acumen, strategic planning, issue resolution and decision-making skills
- Demonstrate alignment with the Cultural Commitments of Safe; Helpful; Accountable; Integrated; and Excellent, fostering an environment for others to do the same. For more information on the City’s Cultural Commitments, please visit (http://bit.ly/3bH2Ztv)
- Demonstrate the foundational competencies, key behaviours and attributes of the City’s six leadership competencies: Courage, Inclusivity, Values-Based Influencer, Collaborative Networker, Systems Thinker and Creative Innovator. For more information on the City’s leadership competencies, please visit (http://bit.ly/2PLbz1w)
The City of Edmonton is committed to inclusive, respectful and equitable workplaces that represent the communities we serve. We continuously improve our systems, policies and practices to remove barriers and ensure our employees, in all their diversity, can succeed. We value applicants with a diverse range of skills, experiences and competencies, and encourage you to apply. To learn more, see the Art of Inclusion: Our Diversity and Inclusion Framework here: https://bit.ly/3etpEt6
The City of Edmonton strives to provide reasonable access and accommodations throughout the application and selection process. If you would like to request an accommodation at any stage of the process, please contact Employment@edmonton.ca.
COVID-19 Notice: The City of Edmonton has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Employees who cannot be fully vaccinated on the basis of a protected legal ground (e.g. medical, religious) may request an exemption. Please note that this policy applies to all employees, including new hires, and volunteers. If your application is successful, you will be asked to provide proof of vaccination or request an exemption.
1 Permanent, Full-time position
Hours of Work: 36.9 hours per week, Monday - Friday
Salary: $102,558.00 - $146,511.00 (Annually)
Talent Acquisition Consultant: JM/JB
Classification Title: PT4 - Financial Manager
Posting Date: Jul 20, 2022
Closing Date: Aug 21, 2022 11:59:00 PM (MDT)
Department: Financial Services
Work Location(s): Century Place, 5th Floor, 9803 - 102A Avenue Edmonton T5J 3A3