“AltaML Inc. focuses on AI and Machine Learning and we continue to grow at both the parent company level and our various subsidiary levels. Interesting opportunities and challenges awaits our finance team as we review our processes, procedures, and systems to accommodate the growth as we expand from Canada to our first US city in Houston. We need to fund our growth through various equity and debt alternatives and also will consider offshoring opportunities. We must ensure that our audited financials are in accordance with Canadian GAAP, but we will also need to consider international accounting practices (IFRS and US GAAP). Ensuring that our processes and procedures can scale with appropriate controls in place to meet statutory audit and SOC2 audit requirements will be key focus areas." Rich Yee – Chief Financial Officer
The venture controller will be responsible for a minimum of 3 subsidiaries covering the financial services, legal, and industrial operations sectors. In addition, our newly formed US subsidiary will also fall under the Venture controller. Incumbent will need to be hands on working with the Venture CEO’s to provide “controllership” responsibilities, but will need to work very closely with our parent company controller and shared finance resources. Initially, the role is an individual contributor and we are looking for the Venture Controller to determine appropriate resources required to support the ventures working closely with the CFO.
What You'll Do:
- Managing the accumulation and consolidation of all financial data (IFRS / US GAAP) necessary for an accurate accounting of consolidated business results for various subsidiaries of varying size.
- Coordinating and preparing internal and external financial statements.
- Overseeing US regulatory reporting, international tax planning (transfer pricing) and compliance
- Planning, directing and coordinating all accounting operational functions (A/R, A/P, Payroll, Intercompany, Treasury, etc.).
- Providing management with information (reports, analysis, & dashboards) and metrics vital to the decision-making process.
- Managing the forecast and budget process working with the venture CEO’s and CFO incorporating venture strategic plans.
- Coordinating activities with external auditors, lawyers, bankers, insurance, pension plan administrators, etc.
- Developing and monitoring business performance metrics
- Overseeing US regulatory reporting, international tax planning (transfer pricing) and compliance.
- Develop strategies that work to minimize financial risk
- Hiring, training and retaining skilled accounting staff. Provide financial support and advice to management as it relates to closing deals, margin analysis, and financial analysis at a project level.
- Support in various projects (US entry, offshoring, outsourcing, process improvement initiatives, etc.) as we continue to grow and scale.
- Assist in the creation of Board of Director reports, investor information packages, and fund raising communications, as needed
- Assist on ad-hoc requests from the CFO including competitor analysis along with mergers and acquisitions due diligence and integration.
What You Bring:
Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting. CPA or MBA designation required
Min of 10 years work experience in a Controller, Business Finance, Financial Planning & Advisory (FP&A) role
Experience in public accounting and working with IFRS or US GAAP
Strong analytical, organizational, and communication skills.
Must be comfortable working in a fast and changing environment.
Need to maintain the appropriate balance by being hands on, detailed orientated but also strategic in solving the business issues with senior management
- Experience working with NetSuite, Google Applications, HubSpot, Microsoft
- Experience working in a fast paced growth IT environment (consulting / software)Experience with Scientific Research and Experimental Development tax credits
First Nations Acknowledgment
As this role is an opportunity in Edmonton, Alberta - AltaML would like to acknowledge that we are on the traditional lands, referred to as Treaty 6 Territory and that the City of Edmonton and all the people here are beneficiaries of this peace and friendship treaty. Treaty 6 encompasses the traditional territories of numerous western Canadian First Nations, including Cree, Dene (DEN–Ē), Stoney Nakota Sioux, Saulteaux (SO-TO), and Ojibwe (OJIB-WĒ). AltaML is dedicated to ensuring that the spirit of Treaty 6 is honoured and respected.
AltaML is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a safe, diverse and inclusive environment. We encourage qualified applicants of all backgrounds including ethnicity, religion, disability status, gender identity, sexual orientation, family status, age, nationality, and education levels to apply. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation during the interviewing process, please let us know.