Finance Business Partner, Resource Planning and Client Services - (997239.2)
Founded in 1910 and located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Mount Royal University grew into a vibrant college in the 1930s and became a mid-sized university in 2009. Mount Royal has carved out a distinct niche by offering smaller class sizes, a robust liberal education and unique undergraduate programs. Currently, more than 15,000 credit students choose from 13 bachelor degrees and 38 majors.
Mount Royal University is located in the traditional territories of the Niitsitapi (Blackfoot) and the people of the Treaty 7 region in southern Alberta, which includes the Siksika, the Piikani, the Kainai, the Tsuut'ina and the Iyarhe Nakoda. We are situated on land where the Bow River meets the Elbow River. The traditional Blackfoot name of this place is "Mohkinstsis," which we now call the city of Calgary. The city of Calgary is also home to the Métis Nation.
Mount Royal University is committed to removing barriers and fostering the inclusion of voices that have been historically underrepresented or discouraged in our society. In support of our belief that diversity in our faculty and staff enriches the work, learning and research experiences for the entire campus community, we strongly encourage members of the designated groups (women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and diverse sexual orientation and gender identities) to apply and self-identify.
About the Role
Reporting to the Manager, Resource Planning, this position provides hands on support in coordinating and capturing the University’s budget through each three-year budget cycle to ensure proper representation of the Institution’s approved annual business plan and provides financial support and expertise to client service areas. The Finance Business Partner – Resource Planning and Client Service provides expert knowledge and advice from an institutional financial and budgeting perspective, ensuring relevant, timely and accurate analysis and reporting for the university and its controlled entities. This position is involved in preparing the financial analysis of major components of the University, data management, and maintenance of budget systems. The incumbent is responsible for the development of budget and financial reports, providing advice and developing procedures and systematic tools to meet the changing requirements of the University and its stakeholders.
Resource Planning and Client Services:
- Recommend changes to significant financial projections and estimates which impact the overall institutional financial position to inform the annual and 3-year resource planning cycle.
- Prepare complex detailed reports and analysis that capture the University's 3 year operating and capital budgets.
- Prepare and develop calculations, estimates, forecasting and variance analysis for key budget revenue and expense drivers.
- Perform analytical review and examination of divisional and departmental budget information for accuracy, compliance, completeness and reasonableness.
- Develop and recommend new models and strategies for improving accuracy and efficiency related to significant financial budget estimates
- Monitor and analyze significant financial components for future budget planning and variance analysis reporting
- Review and maintain the budget account structure in accordance with Provincial government reporting regulations and management needs; maintain budget data to ensure auditability for subsequent budget development and revisions.
- Collaborate with and develop effective relationships with University stakeholders
- Support and advise business units for the ultimate preparation of audit-ready financial statements, all related working papers, and all other external reporting
Decision Support, Reporting, Regulatory Compliance and Analysis:
- Support strategic and operational decision making by developing and preparing financial analysis and reports required by internal users to support their decision-making needs.
- Analyze and compile data from a variety of sources and prepare long-range projections, as well as immediate impact analysis to support decision making
- Develop and test financial estimates based on historical trends, apply profiles and analytics to ensure the most accurate presentation for the purposes of budgeting, variance reporting, and all other financial reporting
- Prepare reporting for stakeholders by analyzing results; proactively identifying trends; designing reporting to ensure accuracy, completeness and consistency
- Prepare accurate and complete analysis based on a solid understanding of the applicable business drivers and their related impact to operations and budget decision making.
- Monitor and communicate changes in accounting standards and Provincial reporting requirements
System Support and Training:
- Provide expert level support to business areas through communication and training
- Prepare and upload approved budget balances to ERP systems
- Prepare and provide training sessions for management and administrative staff to ensure the most effective utilization of available financial software, and the proper maintenance and management of financial information within the system.
- Support business units on preparation of budget and forecast entries, related working papers, analysis and reporting
- Collaborate with business units and stakeholders to determine improvements to financial systems and processes
- Review and recommend software tools, resources and processes for optimal and efficient budget development and reporting.
- Mentor and train within Finance and other business units by means of individual interactions related to all aspects of accounting, budgeting and institutional policies, practices and regulations.
- University Bachelor Degree
- CPA designation required
- 6 - 10 years’ experience
- In-depth knowledge of financial accounting and progressive levels of experience in multiple and varied complex scenarios
- Strong experience in managing technology related controls in conjunction with financial accounting and other internal controls is required
- A thorough understanding of the fundamentals of financial planning and accounting framework, and the many related accounting and regulatory requirements and their impact on the resulting reporting
- Strong attention to detail, analytical, organizational, problem resolution and critical thinking skills
- Excellent financial forecasting and budget projection modeling skills and professional judgement
- Excellent technical accounting skills and ability to prioritize
- High level of verbal and written communication skills
- Applicable systems and technology experience in all Microsoft Office products and large ERP systems
What We Offer
Talented and committed employees are the driving force behind student success. We strive to be an employer of choice among Canadian post-secondary institutions.
At Mount Royal University, we recognize that people are a combination of many intersecting identities; we work to cultivate an environment that welcomes the whole person, and harnesses the strength that is available in our diversity, creating a rich and inclusive workplace.
Investing in the learning and development of our employees benefits the individual and the University. A variety of services, resources and programs encourage a healthy, productive workplace. Mount Royal University offers a competitive total compensation package including health and dental benefits, pension, health and personal spending accounts, paid vacation, winter holiday closure, personal days and a free membership in our fully equipped recreation centre.
Our campus offers the convenience of a full medical clinic, dentist and pharmacy, as well as a variety of wellness services such as physiotherapists and massage therapists. Campus Recreation offers many activities, including personal training, climbing, aquatics, sports and certifications for students, employees and the public.