Controller (Business Leader)
Since 2001, IRT Integrated Rectifier Technologies Inc. has manufactured custom electrical power supplies utilized in the Cathodic Protection industry internationally. We are a small team-oriented company of less than 35 staff currently and pride ourselves on providing innovative solutions and quality products to protect industry assets and the world environment. We are located in west Edmonton and are seeking a mechanically inclined, performance driven person to join our team.
The successful candidate, reporting to the President/CEO, will plan, direct, and manage all company accounting and finance activities. This includes being responsible for budget management; financial analysis, compliance, and reporting; cashflow management and forecasting; insurance; risk management; payroll; accounts payable; accounts receivable; and software systems (ERP). He/she will ensure the appropriate policies, procedures, systems, and controls are developed and implemented to maximize operational efficiency and effectiveness. He/she will assist with daily accounting tasks and also oversee the support areas of the company including Health and Safety, Human Resources, Information Technologies and Office Administration. He/she will interact with customers, vendors, and organizations; and work closely with the President/CEO, the management team, and numerous consultants / contractors.
Key Responsibilities (include but not limited to):
Accounting / Finance Management
- Work closely with the President/CEO and management team to develop and accomplish the financial goals and objectives of the company.
- Provide leadership, suggestions and support to managers and other team members as required to ensure effective and efficient accounting and financial operations.
- Guide financial decisions, maintain financial security, and maximize return on financial assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing controls, plans, policies, procedures, and reporting systems.
- Plan, direct and monitor all accounting operational functions; including coaching the team and appraising job results.
- In coordination with the management team, develop and direct the annual budgeting and cash flow forecasting process to ensure that expenses are in line with projected revenue.
- Oversee asset inventory (equipment, material, other); including maintaining capital asset reconciliations and fixed asset activity.
- Oversee regulatory reporting, including tax planning and compliance. Prepare and submit GST, PST, and CRA Payroll remittances within set timelines.
- Direct and complete the month-end and year-end processes.
- Consistently analyze financial data; generate and effectively communicate monthly reports (bank balances, cash flow, forecasting adjustments, overdue accounts, payroll, variances, etc.) in a timely manner (within 5 working days of month end).
- Continually assess the financial operation (systems and team), resolve issues, offer recommendations for efficiency and cost improvement, develop improvement plans, carry out corrective actions, and implement (including effective communication of) new methods and processes
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the ERP or other software, recommend improvements, and direct change implementation and training.
- Monitor and confirm financial condition by conducting internal reviews; coordinate activities of external auditors/advisors.
- Guide and support the development and monitoring of business performance metrics.
- Develop and carry out a customer credit evaluation process; in consultation with the Engineering Sales Manager and the President/CEO as required.
- Administer existing and new leases required by the company.
- Ensure adequate insurance coverage is in place. Provide a yearly review of insurance coverage to management, including WCB, focusing on cost and risk.
- Maintain a close working relationship with company banks and thorough knowledge of their systems.
- Liaise with external finance and legal consultants on corporate issues; as directed by the President/CEO or Directors.
- Recruit, train and develop team staff as required.
- Update best practices knowledge by participating in educational programs and seminars, reviewing professional publications, maintaining relationships with other financial professionals, participating in professional organizations, etc.
- Ensure the strict confidentiality and privacy of financial information as it relates to the organization. Offer suggestions to ensure confidentiality of information.
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
- Assist with other matters as directed by President/CEO.
Support Group Management
- Oversee the company’s Health and Safety program in a cost conscience and practical manner to ensure employee safety and legislative compliance. This will include developing and managing support staff (internal or external).
- Oversee the company Human Resources needs including, but not limited to, employee benefits, recruitment activities, training, performance development, social activities, etc. This will include developing and managing support staff (internal or external).
- Oversee and develop the company’s Information Technology (IT) infrastructure; including company-wide IT coordination related to computers, phones, printing, etc., multi-year planning and budgeting for hardware and software updates, and ensuring teams are supported by internal and/or external IT technical resources.
- Oversee the company office needs including, but not limited to, cleaning/janitorial services, office supplies, reception activities, etc. This will include developing and managing support staff (internal or external).
- A Bachelor’s degree, issued by an accredited institution, in the area of Accounting or Finance.
- Preferred candidate will possess additional education in the area of business administration and commerce.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of progressive (and demonstrably successful) full-cycle accounting experience (preferably in a small to medium manufacturing business environment).
- A minimum of three (3) years of progressive (and demonstrably successful) financial management and leadership experience (preferably in a small to medium manufacturing business environment).
- Extensive experience with multiple ERP systems including managing ERP implementations, updates and related training.
- Advanced knowledge of accounting principles and direct experience with aspects such as financial statement development, managing reporting, Canadian taxation requirements, compliance, month-end/year-end close processes, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, coordinating audit activities, variance analysis, and reconciliation procedures.
- Demonstrable “small business” administration experience with emphasis on strong leadership of small teams and strategic “big picture” planning.
- Must have strong attention to detail and advanced numerical proficiency.
- Demonstrable knowledge of, and prior experience with, process improvement methods (Six Sigma), employment standards, H&S (for manufacturing), and international business.
- Technologically savvy including advanced proficiency in the use of standard office equipment (i.e. computer, printer, photocopier, etc.), MS office (2010 or newer) including Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and other office productivity related programs/tools.
- Motivational Leadership, Teamwork Development, Developing Others, Empowering Others, Change Management, Performance Management, Attention to Communication, Oral Communication, Written Communication, Supported Communication, Interpersonal Awareness, Collaborative Relationship Development, Customer Oriented, Decision Making, Forward Thinking, Initiative, Results Driven, Thoroughness, Stress Management, Integrity, Reliability, and Self-Awareness.
- Permanent, full time, hourly position
- Working hours of 7:30 am to 4:00 pm (Monday to Friday) (40 hour work week with some overtime required) (some flexibility to working hours possible)
- Office, manufacturing and warehouse environment
- Occasional domestic and international travel may be required in the future
- Requires standing, walking, sitting, handling, lifting, reaching, traversing stairs, talking, hearing and seeing (close vision, color vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus)
- Own vehicle for transportation is required
If you have prior experience managing the full-cycle accounting for a small to medium manufacturing business and want to be a key leader in growing a small business, this is an opportunity for you. We offer a competitive compensation package.
Submit your cover letter and resume via email through the Indeed website only (no phone calls please). On your cover letter, please indicate how your experience and education will aid you in successfully fulfilling this role.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those invited for an interview will be contacted. Note that travel and relocation assistance will not be provided.