Legislative Senior Staff Auditor
- Office of the Auditor General
- Edmonton, Alberta
- $61,605 - $87,507 commensurate with experience
- Job Industry
- CPA Status
- CPA Member, CPA Candidate
- Job Type
If you are a seasoned accounting professional looking to take your career to the next level and you are passionate about improving the performance of and confidence in the public service, then consider being a Senior Staff Auditor with the Office of the Auditor General of Alberta!
Our work will give you the opportunity to apply your education and grow your audit skills in the public sector. Under the guidance of an Audit Manager or Engagement Leader, you will apply Canadian Audit Standards (CAS) and audit methodology in a variety of financial statement and performance audits, while contributing to the development of audit plans, performing tests of controls and year-end procedures, assisting in file completion, and support in making recommendations to auditees.
As a Senior Staff Auditor, you will work independently and in team environments, apply project management skills and exercise your strong critical thinking skills working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. Your technical expertise, coupled with effective communication skills, will lead to your success as you to perform moderately complex audits, while building relationships and obtaining knowledge of the auditee’s business and providing coaching and mentorship to CPA students. In this role, you will largely work in project-based teams where you will contribute to the planning, execution and reporting of your assigned audit project, which focus on auditing the Government of Alberta’s financial statements. You will also develop your analytical aptitude for computer assisted auditing techniques and gain exposure to data analytics in auditing. In addition to financial statement audits, you may also have the opportunity to work on performance audits, which audit the management control systems and processes that the government uses to deliver programs and services to Albertans.
- Related university degree
- Canadian CPA designation
- Minimum 3 years of progressive financial statement audit experience applying Canadian Auditing Standards (CAS)
- Demonstrated abilities in documentation and evaluation of internal control environments
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including presentations
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications
- Previous audit experience in public accounting
- Government operations experience at the municipal, provincial or federal level
- Familiarity with Canadian Public Sector Accounting Standards and IFRS
- Previous experience with data analytics
Candidates who do not have their CPA designation will be considered for an Intermediate Staff Auditor at the Auditor Level 2 classification.
COMPENSATION PLAN INCLUDES:
- A market competitive annual salary starting at $61,604; starting salary of $76,977 for candidates who fully meet required qualifications
- Compensated overtime
- Support for professional development, including leading edge in-house training
- A first-year vacation grant, plus vacation earned each month
- Paid statutory holidays following Government of Alberta leave directives, including Christmas Closure
- Comprehensive benefits plan: 1st Choice Benefits Handbook
- Pension plan
- Health Spending Account (HSA)
- Final candidates for this position will be asked to undergo a security clearance.
- Out-of-town and overnight travel within Alberta is required for this position.
- Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume and cover letter outlining why you want to work for the Office of the Auditor General and how you will contribute to the success of our organization. Effective communication skills are essential for this role, and your cover letter and resume will be used to assess your written communication.
Online applications are preferred. If you are a qualified candidate, please email your cover letter and resume as one PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include Legislative Auditor in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for their interest in our organization; however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS). Applicants should include the assessment certificate from IQAS or any other educational assessment service as part of their application.
The Office of the Auditor General is committed to a diverse and inclusive public service that reflects the population we serve to best meet the needs of Albertans. Consider joining a team where diversity, inclusion and innovation are valued and supported. For more information on diversity and inclusion, please visit https://www.alberta.ca/diversity-inclusion-policy.aspx
If you would like further information, please email us at email@example.com.