Chief Financial Officer
About Orpyx Medical Technologies Inc.
Orpyx develops digital therapeutics to extend mobility and healthspan for people living with diabetes. We are an ISO 13485 company committed to providing quality medical solutions that consistently meet customer needs and regulatory requirements. Orpyx® SI Sensory Insole System is comprised of sensor-embedded shoe insoles used to empower people with diabetes to extend mobility by preventing diabetes-related complications such as foot ulcers and amputation. The sensory insoles send feedback to an app-based display. The sensory data is uploaded to the Orpyx SI cloud-based dashboard, where the data can be remotely monitored between care visits by our credentialed care team. Our business model is a combination of medical device sales and SaaS (software-as-a-service) and meets the requirements for HCPCS and CPT reimbursement.
Who we are
The people at Orpyx are flexible thinkers and creative innovators. We come from a variety of backgrounds and carry a wealth of expertise in multiple industries, including medical, technology, software, marketing and finance. What we all have in common is an intense passion for the work we do. We have an extraordinary collection of talent that makes working here fun, unique and inspiring. Our hiring goal moving forward is to continue to build and grow a strong, effective team, while maintaining our friendly and innovative company culture.
The Chief Financial Officer reports to the President & CEO and is a key strategic member of the executive team acting as a business partner to the CEO. Your mandate is positioning the company for scale and growth. The successful candidate will have the financial and business acumen to develop and implement growth plans, while overseeing all financial aspects of the company. They will have the skills and desire to build value in the company while providing support to company executives and shareholders as needed.
Responsibilities will include direct and indirect responsibility for business modelling, FP&A, accounting, finance, budget and cash flow forecasting, equity and debt financing optimization, strategic planning, tax structuring and analysis, coordination with legal team, risk management, investor relationships and partnership compliance, private equity, and institutional financing.
- Direct and oversee all company finance and accounting matters.
- Business partnering with the CEO in the development and execution of business models that best position the company for scale and growth including de-risking and optimizing payment / retention cycles.
- Director responsibility for investor relations and ensuring that investors receive timely communications.
- Leadership role with the CEO and executive team on all strategic planning matters.
- Work closely with the CEO in the development, execution and negotiation of corporate finance activities when needed including but not limited to accessing capital markets for suitable financing sources and managing relationships with investors.
- Direct interaction with board on all relevant financial matters.
- Directly engage with the business development team and CEO on major partner proposals, pricing, negotiations, and contracts. Oversee financial elements of strategic partnerships.
- Execute major corporate finance functions including financial reporting, internal controls, business and economic analyses; tax planning and compliance; project analysis
- Develop the corporate budget and managing financial risks for the corporation.
- Lead cost/benefit analysis of options during new business ventures and other business strategies.
- Administer the corporate treasury function.
- Evaluate, establish, and maintain effective disclosure controls and procedures.
- Indirectly oversee development of internal and external financial reports. Directly responsible for annual external audit of the company and for working with external audit team.
- Oversee development and execution of tax strategies for the organization.
- Design effective control systems (financial and non-financial) to monitor and improve business unit performance.
- Continually assess the finance organization and its practices to ensure they meet the needs of the business as it grows.
- Maintain relationships and lead negotiations with external parties including accountants, suppliers, resellers, professional services providers, and bankers.
- Direct and prepare financial analyses of operations for guidance of management, preparation of budgets and financial forecasts.
- Provide executive management with advice on the financial implications of business activities and provide recommendations to strategically enhance financial performance and business opportunities.
- Ensure that effective internal controls are in place and ensure compliance with GAAP and applicable National, Federal, Provincial, and local regulatory laws and rules for financial and tax reporting.
- Establish and implement short and long-term departmental goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures.
- Hire, coach, develop and lead the Finance team.
- Maintain a clean, and safe working environment.
- Perform duties in a manner that is consistent with and committed to upholding the requirements of the quality management system.
Additionally, due to the ever-changing and sometimes chaotic environment of an early-stage high-tech company, the CFO may assume additional roles and responsibilities as the company requires.
- CPA designation (preferred) and/or an MBA or a degree in Finance.
- Experience as a CFO, VP, or Director Finance with early-stage technology company in medical technology and SaaS (preferred).
- Experience supporting the CEO in the successful growth and scaling of a high-tempo, rapidly evolving technology company.
- Experience with mergers, acquisitions, and/or IPOs.
- Preference given to candidates who have worked through a successful exit process.
- Expertise in crafting business models and de-risking and optimizing payment / retention cycles.
- Experience in addressing issues of VC and institutional financings with excellent investor relations skills.
- Strong operational financial management skills as well as contracts and legal.
- A technology-enabled, modern approach to business process, accounting, and finance.
- Results-focused, entrepreneurial, and innovative, with a sense of urgency and an achievement orientation to appropriately drive and support the rapid growth of the company.
- Excellent communicator and presenter, effectively conveying the company’s vision and operating performance within the organization and to external parties.
- High level of integrity and dependability.
- Handling of company matters with a level of urgency that matches that of the existing team.
- Exceptional relationship management and stakeholder management skills, demonstrating the ability to influence decision-makers across functional groups and outside the company. Decisive with a “big picture” perspective.
- An insightful and enabling business partner, delivering recommendations, solutions, and clear data.
- Willingness to be forthright in assessments even when communication may be unpopular or contrary to commonly held assumptions.
- Imagination by creating a coherent vision out of existing and anticipated challenges.
- Ability to strategize and solve problems.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills with a track record of hiring and developing strong teams.
- A willingness to learn quickly yet comprehensively.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Proven self-motivation and the ability to thrive in a high-tempo, small and rapidly growing, early-stage technology company environment.
Application Instructions and Deadline: Please submit a resume and cover letter that outlines why your skills, experience and personality would make you an excellent candidate for the full-time permanent Chief Financial Officer role at Orpyx Medical Technologies Inc.
Employment Status: Permanent, full-time.
Work Location: Calgary, Alberta. Relocation and/or remote work may be considered.
For more information, visit: https://www.orpyx.com