ABOUT KV CAPITAL
In 2006, we started the journey to simplify the complex world of finance. KV Capital Inc. was founded on the premise that simpler means better. Since then, both our team and our service offerings have grown and we continue to remain focused on making transactions easy for our clients, without cutting corners. Today, we deliver both expert solutions and peace-of-mind for all our clients and stakeholders through our business areas which include private mortgage lending, private equity, commercial mortgage brokering, asset management and residential mortgage brokering. KV Capital has grown by prioritizing the achievement of long-term outcomes and building teams of high-performing professional staff who excel in their collaborative and dynamic operations.
POSITION Senior Accountant
(job title dependent on seniority of the successful applicant)
LOCATION Edmonton, Alberta
You will play an essential role in the success and continued growth of KV Capital. You will be responsible for overseeing aspects of the finance and accounting functions for KV Capital Inc., KV Mortgage Fund Inc. (a Mortgage Investment Corporation) and KV Real Estate Equity Partners Fund. You will ensure all relevant financial reporting standards are met and the financial controls are operating efficiently and effectively as you bring your fresh ideas and perspectives towards the financial reporting function and finance transformation projects. A high level of attention to detail, a process improvement mindset, and desire to develop professionally in a dynamic work environment is expected. Your ability to multi-task effectively while working under pressure to meet deadlines will be critical in this role. The successful candidate will be driven, collaborative, hard-working and have the desire to help KV Capital drive its growth initiative.
YOUR KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
• Full cycle accounting processes, including day to day journal entries and general ledger account analysis as well as maintaining associated internal controls.
• Preparation of internal monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports, operational reports, and management reports.
• Preparation of external quarterly and year-end financial statements in adherence with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
• Work closely with the operations teams to ensure accurate and timely reporting.
• Analyze and present monthly financial results with KV Capital’s CFO and the Presidents of each business unit.
• Support the preparation of annual audit packages and coordination of financial-related audits for KV Capital Inc. and fund entities.
• Development and implementation of new accounting standards, policies and procedures, processes, systems and internal control measures and manage change.
• Review non-routine accounting transactions and determine their appropriate accounting treatment.
• Prepare timely, accurate and meaningful reporting for investors, as and when required.
• Perform periodic cash flow forecasting.
• Assist with the annual budgeting process, including generating performance reports against budgets.
• Ensure compliance with operational, banking and regulatory requirements including corporate tax and GST filings, banking covenants, and investor related filings.
• Identify and contribute to a variety of finance transformation projects including technological advancements, system implementations, process improvements, etc. with the goal of implementing efficiencies, enhancing reporting and controls, and simplifying finance.
YOUR CAPABILITIES AND CREDENTIALS
• A Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation (in process or completed – note this position will provide qualified hours for CPA candidates).
• 3+ years of increasing experience in Finance and Accounting functions including relevant experience in a public practice accounting firm.
• Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to develop financial analysis and reporting in an efficient manner and with a high degree of accuracy.
• Strong understanding and knowledge of accounting principles, financial processes, and controls.
• A strong attention to detail and ability to multitask effectively.
• A demonstrated ability to act independently, within multi-disciplinary teams and under time constraints.
• Pro-active approach to identifying issues and potential for operational efficiencies and taking ownership to resolve.
• Advanced use of Microsoft Office Suite, with a demonstrated expertise in Excel.
You will be part of an enthusiastic and highly effective team with no end of challenging and transformational work in sight. The company is growing, and the mindset is expansionary.
We offer competitive total compensation, an engaging and collaborative environment, recognition for performance and opportunities for growth and advancement.
For more information on our company, please visit our website at www.kvcapital.ca.
To apply, please forward your resume and cover letter to:
Please indicate “Senior Accountant” in the subject line
KV BUSINESS UNITS
You will work across all business functions of KV Capital. A brief description of these business units is below:
Private mortgages: Our private mortgage division currently manages a $200 million mortgage portfolio of short term residential, commercial, and construction mortgages. KV Capital conducts in-house underwriting and provides funding to borrowers located in Canada under real-estate secured financing transactions.
Commercial real estate finance: Launched in 2019, our commercial real estate finance division has funded +$5B commercial deals collectively and our team has +100 years of combined experience. Together, we source financing solutions for land, subdivision financing, multi-family, retail, industrial, office, hospitality, and mixed-use properties.
Asset management: Our track record is reflective of our expertise, commitment to investors, and our adherence to our core values of integrity, growth, simplicity and collaboration. To date, we have funded over $1B in commercial mortgages across all asset classes. During this time, our total losses of principal and accrued interest is less than 0.20% of funds advanced. Our expertise covers all aspects of asset management including origination, due diligence, funding, administration, investor reporting, defaulted and non-performing loan management and workouts.
Private equity: Launched in 2017, our private equity fund is proud to be a positive catalyst for the companies in our Fund 1 portfolio that includes the following four companies: Campion Marine, Escape Trailer, Off Grid Trailers, and Northern Lite. Our team’s approach to private equity is based on a shared passion for helping ambitious businesses grow and prosper by driving overall performance and their bottom line.
Residential mortgages: Our team at KV Capital began our journey as the Mortgage Corner in 2006 and re-launched residential mortgage brokerage in 2020. Today, we offer mortgages as unique as our clients are and understand that no two homeowners are alike. By accessing our diverse network of lenders, we secure the market’s most competitive rates for our clients, all while keeping the process as simple and straightforward as possible.
Real estate equity partners: Our flagship real estate focused private equity fund launched in 2022. This Fund co-invested alongside experienced and well-capitalized developers in ground up middle market real estate development projects located in major western Canadian markets. This Fund combines the strengths of KV Capital's expertise in real estate finance, underwriting and fund management with the business unit leader’s experience in all aspects of real estate development and asset management.