Accountant / Controller
As an industry leader in the incentive travel sector, Essential Meetings + Incentives is currently seeking a talented and experienced Accountant / Controller to work with our Calgary team.
This is a newly created position, as the organization has made the strategic decision to transition the accounting function to in-house, from an external third-party service provider.
In the first 100 days, in conjunction with the leadership team, it is expected that the Accountant / Controller will:
- Develop a project workplan including the identification of business requirements, pricing and key selection criteria of an accounting software package, and payroll system, that will meet the needs of the company;
- Research and evaluate various accounting software packages and payroll systems available in the market, and using the key selection criteria as a baseline, make a recommendation on software products;
- Lead the development of financial, accounting and payroll business processes; account and coding structures; and the implementation of the selected accounting software package and payroll system;
- Ensure all data and information is accurately migrated from the current external third-party service provider;
- Operationalize the accounting software and payroll system for in-house sustainment.
In addition, the Accountant / Controller is responsible for performing all aspects of the full cycle of day-to-day accounting functions including maintaining general ledgers, accounts payables, accounts receivables, bank and monthly account reconciliations, payroll, wire transfers, foreign exchange transactions, GST and tax filings, budgeting and all reporting including monthly, quarterly and annual management reporting packages; and for providing project-based accounting support for the various travel incentive programs offered by EM+I.
Responsibilities and Duties:
The Accountant / Controller is responsible for the following:
- Performs full cycle of day-to-day accounting functions and transactions including maintaining of general ledgers, accounts payables and accounts receivables.
- Conducts all bank, monthly and program account reconciliations.
- Prepares and manages all regular payroll activities, including the submission of employee source deductions to relevant regulatory bodies including CPP, EI, worker’s compensation etc., as well as year-end income tax requirements (i.e. T4’s etc.).
- Prepares monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements and reporting packages, including income statements, cash flow statements and balance sheets.
- Prepares GST and tax filings in accordance with legislation and deadlines;
- Performs wire transfers and manage foreign exchange transactions;
- Reports on the company’s financial health and liquidity, as needed;
- Identifies any financial or accounting anomalies or discrepancies and escalates to the leadership team;
- Supports the leadership team with budgeting forecasts for operations and projects;
- Responsible for developing and streamlining accounting business processes.
- Provides project-based accounting support for programs offered by the company;
- Closes out of EM+I incentive programs including final payment of invoices, reconciliation of fees, closure of any outstanding issues, etc.
- Ensures the organization complies with all regulations and legislation;
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
- College Diploma/ Bachelor's Degree in Business and/or Accounting.
- Chartered Accountant / CPA designation.
- A minimum of eight (8) years hands-on full cycle accounting experience in a small to mid- sized private organization.
- Experience preparing monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports.
- Experience preparing GST and tax filings.
- Knowledge of project-based accounting concepts and procedures an asset.
- Knowledge and experience with foreign currency transactions (CDN, USD, Euro).
- Strong proficiency in accounting software packages.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft computer software including MS Office (i.e. Word, Excel).
- Commitment to working in a team environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Results-oriented individual with the ability to interpret and effectively manage multiple and competing priorities and time lines.
- Highly effective negotiation, diplomatic, and conflict resolutions skills.
- Ability to organize, evaluate, communicate and present information effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Able to identify and create alternative solutions to problems.
- Excellent time management and organization skills.
- Demonstrated ability to identify necessary cost control opportunities and measures.
- Able to work well under pressure.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft computer software (i.e. Excel, Word, etc.) and email.
We’re building and growing. Want to grow with us?
World Class Company and Culture
- Leadership – Visionary. Passionate. Focused.
- Travel Incentive Projects - Global. Complex. Challenging. We Design and Deliver Remarkable Shared Experiences.
- TEAM – Supportive. Highly Competent Professionals. Subject Matter Experts. Motivated to Deliver Outstanding Results.
- Reputation – Proven Track Record of Success.
World Class Work
- Projects with Top Canadian Companies.
- We Solve the Critical Business Challenges of Retention, Supplier and Employee Performance and Engagement for our Customers.
- Innovative Thinking to Create and Deliver Top Tier Travel Experiences Around the World.
- Contributions from Concept through Execution.
World Class Rewards
- A Collaborative Work Environment where You can make a Difference.
- Leading Edge Communication Infrastructure, Tools and Support.
- Opportunities for Ongoing Professional Growth.
- Recognition, Advancement and Rewards for Performance.
- Competitive Pay, Perks and Schedule Flexibility.
We want to hear from you if you are interested in working at Essential Meetings + Incentives and possess the necessary qualifications for this position. Please forward your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you to all applicants for your interest in Essential Meetings + Incentives. We will be contacting only those candidates selected for interviews.
Want to learn more about us? Please visit our website at www.essentialmeetings.ca