Senior Financial Analyst
- Elk Island Public Schools
- Elk Island Public Schools Central Office
- $40.06 to $48.61
- Job Industry
- Education, Banking & Financial Services, Finance
- CPA Status
- CPA Member
- Job Type
Senior Financial Analyst - Permanent
Central Services- Financial Services
Do you want to use your financial skills to make a meaningful contribution to education in Alberta?
Are you meticulous in the work you do? Have extensive experience working with clients explaining financial concepts? Enjoy a fast-paced environment, while analyzing financial results, developing projections, and contributing to your organization’s goals? If so, this position is for you! Come join us and play a key role in the Division’s success in providing quality learning.
Read about the role, tell us your story and the value you bring to this position.
Elk Island Public Schools is one of Alberta’s largest school divisions, serving approximately 17,450 students in 43 schools. As leaders in education, we flourish in a culture of life-long learning and provide excellent development opportunities to our employees.
Elk Island Public Schools is looking for an individual who can provide guidance and support to school administration on budget and financial matters, train on processes using a variety of different methods, and mentor school bookkeepers to further develop in their roles. Your accounting knowledge and supportive nature will allow you to succeed in this dynamic work environment.
The Analyst plays an important role in helping to achieve both the Division and department goals working directly with the Director to provide leadership, coordination, and mentorship in Financial Services. The incumbent ensures appropriate internal controls and procedures and plans internal audits for schools and departments. The Analyst also coordinates and consolidates financial reporting of school fund activities for the district.
Commencing October 24, 2022
37.5 hours per week (Monday to Friday- 7.5 hours per day) (Year Round Position)
Compensation Rate: $40.06 to $48.61 per hour
Elk Island Public Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package for permanent employees
Open to: Internal and External candidates
- Primary contact for school administrators regarding financial processes and procedures, including budget support, reviewing operating budget financial positions and assisting with financial projections.
- Provide and develop accurate, effective and timely management reports, to support variance analysis, forecasts, budget monitoring and planning for schools, departments and the Division.
- Review accounting procedures and processes in accordance with Board Policy, Division and administrative procedures, and provide recommendations for improvements.
- Assist with planning, development and maintenance of the Division’s fee management system policies and procedures in accordance with Board Policy, Division administrative procedures, Alberta Education guidelines and provincial legislation.
- Coordinate the development and delivery of in-service training to schools and departments.
- Work with systems analysts, internal and external, to identify and resolve system issues.
- Lead and/or assist with systems projects to ensure that the financial accounting systems meet the needs of departments and schools, and provide the information required for financial reporting purposes and budget monitoring.
- Assist and make recommendations for hiring of financial resource staff at schools and departments.
Education and Experience: (Equivalencies will be considered)
- Minimum of 5 years’ related experience, preferably in public sector
- CPA designation
- Previous school board experience would be an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes
- Critical thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Active listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Provide consultation and advice to others -- Provide guidance and expert advice to management or other groups.
For further information, please contact Carmine von Tettenborn, Director, Financial Services at email@example.com.
Only online applications to our website will be accepted.
Elk Island Public Schools appreciates and considers all applications; however, we only contact candidates who are selected for interviews.
If you require assistance with the application system, please call Apply to Education at 1-877-900-5627 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.