Senior Accountant and Program Lead, Treasury & Financial Planning
Short & Long-Term Financial Planning
- Oversee and facilitate the annual budget and financial planning process in accordance with internal and external plans, policies, bylaws, and the Municipal Government Act requirements.
- Supervision and mentorship of treasury and financial planning direct reports and other staff as required.
- Develop short- and long-term goals for the treasury and financial planning team incorporating managements goals and objectives, best practices, innovation, and Council’s vision.
- Oversee and assist in treasury management, income and expenditures analysis, and financial recommendations for use in the annual operating and capital budget and long-range financial plans.
- Oversee the annual fees and charges bylaw development, public engagement requirements, and other related sub budget and financial planning processes.
- Collaborate and assist the Corporate Planning team with the annual service enhancements process and financial components of corporate initiatives pertaining to operating and capital projects.
- Responsible for the management of budget and financial planning processes via financial systems to ensure they are effective and appropriate with necessary controls in place.
- Contribute to, facilitate, and present financial information and analysis informally and formally via meetings, presentations, and workshops.
Municipal Revenues & Administration
- Responsible for the oversight, management, coordination, and leadership of administering the municipal property tax program requirements in accordance with necessary timelines, internal processes, policies, bylaws, and Municipal Government Act requirements.
- Supervision and mentorship of tax program members, general administrative staff, and other staff as required.
- Responsible for monthly financial accounting activities pertaining to taxation and general revenue.
- Responsible for tax projections, bylaw development, budget development, collections, agreements, financial reporting, and project work pertaining to the County’s tax program.
- Responsible for the management of administrative and financial systems or modules to ensure they are effective and appropriate with necessary controls in place.
- Apply a comprehensive understanding of the municipal tax and assessment system to provide strategic advice to leadership and Council.
Other Duties as Required
- Responsible for maintaining various financial controls, processes, procedures, policies, directives, and bylaws.
- Assist with financial reporting and audits as required.
- Assist with achieving corporate initiatives, department goals, and special projects as required.
- Perform and review of complex financial calculations, analytical procedures, and reconciliations, and provide evidence-based recommendations if necessary and applicable.
- Work closely with Corporate Finance and Treasury management and financial operations and reporting team to ensure cohesion exists between program responsibilities and organizational understanding.
- Driven, motivated, self starter that can determine necessary course of action in new and unique situations, and effectively determine when feedback or input is required from others.
- Experienced leader that can capitalize on existing talent within a team and motivate staff, at all levels, to continually professional development for the betterment of themselves and the organization.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- Proven ability to analyze complex situations, provide creative and measurable solutions, and effectively negotiate in an objective, logical and sensible manner.
- A successful track record in building and maintaining relationships with diverse stakeholders including direct reports, internal business units, elected officials, businesses and citizens, the community and all levels of government is essential.
- Experience compiling information, communicating, presenting to complex information to a diverse audience.
- This position requires a bachelor’s degree and a CPA, CMA, CGA or CA designation and a minimum of 5 years of relevant accounting and supervisory experience.
- Local government education and/or financial experience would be an asset.