Vice President, Finance
Leder Holdings Ltd. is an Alberta based private holding company primarily invested in commercial & industrial real estate, steel fabrication & construction, energy production, and various other private and public equity investments.
Reporting to the President & CEO, the VP Finance will be a key member of the Executive Team and manage the primary financial areas of the company including budgeting and forecasting, treasury and banking, financial reporting, corporate taxation, and risk management. The VP Finance will provide financial leadership and support to other areas of the various businesses. In particular, the VP Finance will liaise with and support the Corporate Controllers for the larger operating companies that Leder Holdings is invested in.
The VP Finance will be responsible for the following:
Ownership & Governance
- Support the Executive Team with the preparation of any required documents and financial reporting summaries for Executive Team and/or Board meetings.
- Alongside the Executive Team, continue the development of the overall governance framework to support the company’s continuity strategy.
- Develop a finance team for the company and support various controllers and accounting technicians in subsidiary companies to develop competency and additional capabilities.
- Be the primary financial manager for all key strategic and financial matters, which includes providing support and advising on special projects.
- Be the primary liaison with all external financial partners including banks, insurance, bonding company, external accountants, and other key advisors.
Budgeting & Forecasting
- Prepare and manage the company’s annual budget and detailed schedules to support revenue estimates, key operating expenses, and capital expenditures.
- As part of the annual budgeting process, provide a detailed itemization of any expected capital funding requirements or capital repayments/distributions.
- Prepare a quarterly reforecast that considers actual results until the end of each quarter, plus the reforecast of the balance of the fiscal year.
Treasury, Liquidity, and Banking
- If applicable, review the total liquidity dashboard prepared by subsidiary company accountant.
- If applicable, review the short-term cash flow forecast that shows actuals to date and incorporates all short-term cash flow requirements.
- Prepare all relevant information for 3rd party financing annual reviews.
- Maintain a banking compliance schedule to ensure all covenant calculations and compliance certificates are delivered on a timely basis.
- If applicable, update the banking covenants and borrowing base calculations and complete compliance certificates to be delivered in accordance with the compliance schedule.
Financial Reporting and Compliance
- Perform a detailed and comprehensive review of all month end procedures and financial reporting packages prepared for the subsidiary companies by their Corporate Controllers.
- Prepare a quarterly consolidated reporting package for various holding companies, including consolidated financial statements and supporting documentation.
- Produce a Management, Discussion, & Analysis (“MD&A”) for some operating companies and deliver to banks, bonding, and shareholders.
- Complete the annual financial statements reporting package for the year-end external accountant review/audit including annual financial statements with note disclosure, lead sheets, and supporting documentation.
- Liaise with external accountants to resolve audit issues and ensure all adjusting journal entries and other recommendations provided by the external accountants are accurate.
Corporate Taxation & GST
- Prepare the tax files with all supporting tax working papers to assist the external accountants with all filings.
- Resolve any specific compliance questions that may arise from the CRA after filing of tax or GST returns.
- Coordinate with external tax advisors to ensure all tax compliance deadlines are met.
- Work with the external tax advisors to develop and implement the overall tax strategy and/or support any special tax projects.
Risk Management, Insurance, Bonding
- As applicable for any operating company, work with the specific Corporate Controllers to ensure that all bonding packages are completed and maintained in good standing.
- Maintain a schedule of total insurance in place for regular review.
- Address any information requests related to periodic banking reviews regarding loans secured against specific company assets.
- Manage all personal insurance policies including ensuring that all transactions are properly accounted for.
This position requires the following competencies:
- A CPA designation is required
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in progressive financial leadership roles
- Experience working in a public accounting firm would be an asset
- Understanding of accounting software, preferably SAGE 300
- Above average knowledge of the Microsoft suite of products with experience using Microsoft Excel for financial modeling
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to work under pressure and tight time deadlines
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills to properly communicate financial results to multiple stakeholders
- Ability to think on their own, question existing processes, and design improvements and solutions to issues (not just repeat a process, but look to continually improve it)
Leder Holdings Ltd. offers a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package, and an opportunity to make an impact all within a family-based corporate environment rooted in our core values.
Please forward your cover letter and resume, in confidence to email@example.com with a subject line of VP Finance no later than to October 21, 2022.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those candidates identified for further consideration will be contacted.