Finance Business Partner (2 - Year Fulltime Temporary
Our Business Information and Finance team has an exciting opportunity for a Finance Business Partner. (Full time, 2 -year temporary role)
The Finance Business Partner will be responsible for providing high quality strategic finance support to a portfolio of clients. These services are expected to be delivered with consideration of the clients' long term objectives in relation to instruction, learning, applied research and service. The role is responsible for building relationships with these departments, understanding their specific needs and assisting them in achieving their strategic business plan objectives by offering advice and consultation in the areas of budgeting, forecasting, analysis and planning.
The services are to be delivered in close consultation with senior leadership, deans, directors, coordinators and staff while using comprehensive finance, accounting and budgeting knowledge. The incumbent is expected to develop strong relationships with clients by providing a consistent quality of service that aligns with the client's strategic objectives while being in compliance with policy, process and legislation.
Budget, Forecasting and Variance Analysis -20%
- Provides technical guidance to the executive and management with analysis and advice in the review of program and service areas.
- Assists in the development of program-costing models to be used for new and existing programs.
- Advises Directors, Deans and supervisors on identifying risks and opportunities regarding budgeting and forecasting.
- Provides expert recommendations/solutions related to budget and forecast system.
- Fosters and maintains positive and effective problem-solving relationships with leadership and staff at the College.
- Leads preparation of annual operational budgets and annual forecasting. Serves as the key resource for VPs.
- Provides expert advice on proper accounting practices.
- Reporting analysis – provides direction and advice on potential risks and opportunities; provides information so that departments understand, make connections and understand the impact.
- Interprets financial reports, explains PSAS accounting standards
- Responsible for testing budgeting system, communicating with external consultants on necessary fixes, and provides training.
- Working closely with academic department/VPA, leads and prepares a new program for proposals to the government.
- Interprets financial reports, explains PSAS accounting standards.
- Participates in the preparation of the annual operating and capital budgets and updating quarterly forecasts.
- Works with Deans and Directors to produce monthly variance analysis.
- Monitors the effectiveness of the College’s financial, budgeting and forecasting policies, processes and systems; recommends improvements.
- Ensures management is appropriately apprised of all budgetary, business and financial issues affecting departments.
- Works with the deans/ directors, managers, Office of Institutional Analysis and the Director, Finance to refine and improve the College’s integrated budgeting and forecasting processes.
- Leads the preparation of departmental operational budgets, forecasting and planning, including regular budget to actual variance analysis and forecasts
- Manages budget/financial change initiatives including the identification of required changes and recommended courses of action.
- Participates in the development of proposals and business cases for new initiatives, including financial modeling and sensitivity analysis.
Management of Financial Resources - 60%
- Ensures that department’s financial processes and procedures are in accordance with all necessary regulations and college policies/procedures.
- Oversees expenditure and revenues ensuring compliance with regulatory, granting agency and donor stewardship requirements.
- Leads and manages the client department’s year end processes including accurate accruals, performance of variance analysis and maintenance of appropriate documentation/audit trail.
- Provides a wide variety of ad hoc reporting and financial analysis to enable timely and effective decision making.
- Mentors and trains new administrative professional and support staff in relation to financial and budgetary practices.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with college Deans, Directors and staff and assisting them to navigate financial systems, policies, processes and functions.
- Meets with Deans and Directors on a monthly basis to review operating results and discuss business performance drivers
- Assists Deans, Directors and other leaders with maintaining the College’s contract management system.
- Reviews contract language for new business initiatives and make recommendations on risk mitigation.
Strategic Analysis and Advisory Services - 20%
- Develops regular financial reporting and ad hoc reporting to assist senior management in the strategic decision making process; financial reporting to include high level variance analysis and forecasting to highlight issues.
- Supports the administration of risk management and legislative compliance strategies and processes.
- Monitors the effectiveness of College financial policies and procedures; makes recommends to improve those policies and procedures.
JOB REQUIREMENTS *
- Bachelor’s Degree – Business Administration or equivalent education and/or experience might be considered
- 5 years of direct financial analysis experience at progressively more senior level
- Excellent communicator with strong written and verbal skills
- An equivalent combination of directly related education and experience may be considered
- Accounting designation CPA-CA, CPA-CMA, CPA-CGA and/or MBA is preferred.
- Technical role in finance including interfaces with all levels of stakeholders and supervisory experience
- Experience in business plan development
- Experience in post-secondary institutions is an asset
- Strong interpersonal skills and capable of building and maintaining productive and supportive working relationships
- Proficient user of computer software applications
- An equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired will be considered
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Extensive work experience in various accounting functions including budget, forecasting and financial analysis (5 plus years)
- Advanced technical skills with regard to integrated financial applications
- Highly proficient in financial modeling
This is a full-time, temporary position. (2 years)