Supervisor, Financial Reporting & Technical Accounting
Great Opportunities. Great People.
One Company, Infinite Possibilities.
ATCO is committed to providing and maintaining a safe environment for our employees, contractors, partners, and customers. As part of this unwavering commitment to safety, all ATCO employees and contractors are required to be fully vaccinated.
Always there. Anywhere. That’s us! We are committed to delivering inspired solutions for a better world. We care about our communities, we care about each other, and we care about showing up for those who need us. We value and encourage different perspectives and we have the courage to do the right thing, even when it’s hard.
We’re looking for someone who cares about their work and strives for more each day. Someone who challenges the status quo, embraces change, and thrives in a collaborative work environment. If you are someone who approaches work with passion, curiosity and the courage to innovate, then this role is for you.
The Supervisor, Financial Reporting & Technical Accounting is responsible for conducting technical accounting research in connection with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and resolving accounting issues arising from complex transactions. In addition, this role will provide oversight on daily activities and period end close procedures related to derivative transactions and assist in other financial reporting projects as required, such as the preparation of notes to the annual consolidated financial statements and the preparation of stand-alone financial statements.
WHAT YOU GET TO DO:
Accounting Standards (IFRS)
- Take on a lead project role on the implementation of new accounting standards across the ATCO Group. This includes understanding new accounting pronouncements, interpreting the related guidance, and working closely with the various business units in assessing the impact.
- Review contracts and agreements, identifying accounting implications, reviewing and/or developing accounting models, and quantifying the impact.
- Provide support to business development activities including acquisitions, disposals, commercial agreements, and strategic partnerships.
- Prepare accounting position papers to support ATCO's position with respect to the applicable accounting standard.
- Support the drafting of any new or changed accounting policies and develop new procedures as required to ensure all requirements are met on a going-forward basis.
- Support the review process with management and external auditors.
- Monitor changing accounting standards and proactively perform research to identify current relevant accounting or reporting changes affecting the organization with regards to that area. Identify detailed alternatives, implications, and resolutions.
- Serve as a company-wide technical accounting resource for ad-hoc questions and initiatives.
- Oversee the monthly accounting for derivatives which includes analyzing derivative open positions, accounting for settlements of commodity and other financial contracts and approving journal entries, as required.
- Maintain and oversee the hedge accounting process which includes ensuring that hedge documentation is properly documented and approved.
- Responsible for ensuring all transactions, including settlements, executed by ATCO’s trading group, are accurately captured in the trade database and confirmed with all parties within the allocated timeframe.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for all derivative accounting matters with the external auditors.
- Other derivative-related duties, as requested.
- Participate in preparing quarterly and annual consolidated financial statements and other continuous disclosure documents, as applicable, that are required to be filed with securities regulators.
- Draft annual stand-alone and/or entity-level financial statements
WHO YOU ARE:
- Undergraduate degree in Commerce, Business or Finance is required.
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) Designation or equivalent
- Minimum of 5 years of experience conducting research and providing technical accounting advise in a publicly traded company or with an external accounting firm.
- Previous involvement in transaction support and/or acquisition will be considered an asset.
- Possess a good understanding of IFRS with demonstrated knowledge and ability in researching and documenting new accounting guidance and accounting treatment of issues.
- Strong understanding of accounting and business processes.
- Keen interest in the IFRS technical aspects of accounting issues and their application to the business.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Great teammate, able to contribute and collaborate effectively.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and personal project leadership skills.
- High attention to detail and excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Creative, flexible, and motivated.
- Produce results with accuracy and a high quality of work.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- A culture based on caring, integrity, agility, collaboration, and striving for excellence
- Competitive compensation
- Flex benefits
- Tuition assistance program
- Training and mentorship programs
- Charitable donation matching
We would like to thank everyone for their application; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
Canadian Utilities Ltd. is part of ATCO Ltd. ATCO delivers inspired solutions for a better world. We are a diversified global corporation with investments in the essential services of Structures & Logistics, Utilities, Energy Infrastructure, Retail Energy, Transportation and Commercial Real Estate. Learn more about how we build communities, energize industries and deliver customer-focused solutions like no other company in the world at www.atco.com. ATCO is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Visit our website for more information.