Finance Manager, Business Financial Analytics
Finance Manager, Business Financial Analytics
Job Number: 45247
The Financial and Corporate Services department provides corporate and business support to the entire organization. Reporting to the Finance Director, Business Financial Analytics, the Finance Manager oversees a team of professionals that provide day to day financial support and direction to Edmonton Transit Services, a fully integrated, progressive, easy-to-use public transit system that provides over 80 million rides each year.
By demonstrating “big picture” thinking on how to apply financial rigor to operating decisions, this role will be accountable for business analytics associated with but not limited to budget development, financial performance and variance reporting, council reports, financial analysis and business cases for special projects.
First year goals and deliverables:
- Lead, influence and collaborate with team resources in the forecasting, long range planning, and decision-making to develop financial and business strategies and resolve issues
- Analyze results against budget and forecasts to identify variances, year-end costs, trends and determine historical costs utilized in future financial models/reports
- Provide leadership to the branch manager and their management team in the development of financial deliverables that align with financial accounting directives and policies
- Provide financial analytics, advice and assistance in the development of sound defensible business cases for new or revised initiatives. Actively review, challenge and participate alongside business partners in their evaluation of department goals, outcomes, targets and business strategies. This includes understanding the client’s business, evaluating financial implications, while providing guidance on targets and consistently applying corporate policy and strategic direction
- Review business cases, reports and budget requests to ensure financial viability and alignment with strategic priorities
- Anticipate business opportunities, influence policy, planning and initiatives, and foster a culture of accountability
- Build workforce capacity through coaching, mentoring, recognizing accomplishments, and motivating employees to deliver results and achieve their potential
What does success look like?
- Apply knowledge or training and/or education in Finance, Business, or related disciplines
- Chartered Professional Accountant designation (CPA) is required
- Utilize your financial management experience including your knowledge of financial analytics and business planning development
- Communicate complex financial strategies and information in a clear and easy to understand manner
- Balance strategic planning with executive level consulting and communication skills
- Effectively analyze sensitive issues and respond to, and advise, senior leadership on various matters
- Build a respectful workplace culture through a values-based influencer approach and work collaboratively
- Understand complex municipal and utility subject matter and build effective influential relationships with Council
- Communicate with strong political acumen, strategic planning, issue resolution and decision-making skills
- Demonstrate alignment with the Cultural Commitments of Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Integrated and Excellent, fostering an environment for others to do the same. For more information on the City’s Cultural Commitments, please visit edmonton.ca/our-culture
- Demonstrate the foundational competencies, key behaviours and attributes of the City’s six leadership competencies: Courage, Inclusivity, Values-Based Influencer, Collaborative Networker, Systems Thinker and Creative Innovator. For more information on the City’s leadership competencies, please visit edmonton.ca/our-culture
The City of Edmonton is committed to inclusive, respectful and equitable workplaces that represent the communities we serve. We continuously improve our systems, policies and practices to remove barriers and ensure our employees, in all their diversity, can succeed. We value applicants with a diverse range of skills, experiences and competencies, and encourage you to apply. To learn more, see the Art of Inclusion: Our Diversity and Inclusion Framework here: https://bit.ly/3etpEt6
The City of Edmonton strives to provide reasonable access and accommodations throughout the application and selection process. If you would like to request an accommodation at any stage of the process, please contact Employment@edmonton.ca.
COVID-19 Notice: The City of Edmonton has implemented a COVID 19-Vaccination Policy. Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Employees who cannot be fully vaccinated on the basis of a protected legal ground (e.g. medical, religious) may request an exemption. Please note that this policy applies to all employees, including new hires, and volunteers. If your application is successful, you will be asked to provide proof of vaccination or request an exemption.
1 Permanent, Full-time position
Talent sourced through this process may be considered for similar opportunities within the City.
Hours of Work: 36.9 hours per week, Monday - Friday
Salary: $102,558.00 - $146,511.00 (Annually)
Talent Acquisition Consultant: JM/SK
Classification Title: PT4 - Financial Manager
Posting Date: Nov 25, 2022
Closing Date: Dec 16, 2022 11:59:00 PM (MDT)
Number of Openings (up to): 1 - Permanent Full-time
Union : Management
Department: Financial Services
Work Location(s): 17th Floor Edmonton Tower, 10111 104 Avenue Edmonton T5J 0J4