Financial Analyst II
- North American Construction Group
- Acheson Head Office
- Job Industry
- CPA Status
- CPA Member, CPA Candidate
- Job Type
The Financial Analyst is responsible for monitoring, reporting, and analyzing project revenue and costs. They will work closely with operations to communicate site performance to upper management and help drive site profitability. This position manages monthly, quarterly, and annual variance analysis, performs site forecasting / budgeting, coordinates with auditors, prepares working papers for internal and external reporting requirements and assists in ad-hoc projects as required.
This position performs job setup, control, and maintenance activities, as well as month end activities which includes revenue recognition on forecasted jobs. They work closely with internal departments to ensure all daily accounting activities are in compliance with United States Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (“US GAAP”), internal controls, policies, and procedures. NACG is a CPA Alberta Pre-Approved Program for practical experience.
NACG corporate office is currently working in a hybrid working model, 3 days in office and 2 days at home.
2 positions available, one temporary and one permanent.
Salary Range: $68,300.00 to $80,353.00 per annum
Variance Analysis, Forecasting, Budgeting, Commentary
- Act as the central liaison between the corporate accounting team and the operations team by aligning with operations managers and project managers.
- Assist site personnel as needed to deliver quality and reliable financial support, analysis and reporting.
- Develop financial models to provide more visibility and transparency into site costs and margins, prepare performance reports, identify and provide commentary on key performance indicators.
Month-end, Quarter-end and Audit Requirements
- Work closely with project management, corporate, procurement, payroll, accounts receivable and accounts payable to ensure accurate and consistent financial reporting, cost capture, revenue recognition and project billing.
- Oversee project and equipment results to ensure the capture of financial information in accordance with US GAAP and internal policies and procedures.
- Complete audit and review analysis and working papers for internal stakeholders and external auditors.
- Maintain continuities of approved contractual values and ensure that revenue is recognized in compliance with contractual documentation, the new revenue recognition standard (ASC 606) and internal revenue recognition policies.
- Identify areas of inefficiencies in monthly, quarterly and annual processes and offer solutions to improve efficiencies.
Reporting, Documentation & Internal Controls
- Create new, user-friendly reporting incorporating visuals, such as graphs and waterfall charting.
- Participate in maintenance of the financial reporting systems, including developing and improving upon custom financial reporting.
- Contribute towards the development and maintenance of internal controls processes affecting operational finance.
- Maintain proper training documentation, and cross train with members of the department to provide vacation coverage.
Other Financial or Special Projects
- Provide ad-hoc financial analysis, modelling, reporting as needed to support business decisions.
- Perform site visits to establish and build relationships with the operational team.
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with operational stakeholders, internal and external stakeholders and team members.
- Related Bachelors degree or equivalent experience related to financial accounting.
- CPA designation or enrollment in CPA Professional Education Program required.
- Three years’ experience related to financial accounting or project accounting.
- Construction and/or mining accounting experience preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-starter with excellent interpersonal communication and problem-solving skills.
- Solid understanding of revenue recognition.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- High attention to detail.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel.
- Mature attitude and ability to deal effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to read and interpret contract information and financial results.
- Experience with JD Edwards is considered an asset.