General Ledger Lead
- Calgary Board of Education
- 1221 - 8 Street SW Calgary AB T2R 0L4
- $79,987 - $113,750
- Job Industry
- CPA Status
- CPA Member
- Job Type
Who Are We?
The Calgary Board of Education (CBE) is the largest school board in western Canada with over 131,000 students and 15,000 employees. Our mission: Each student, in keeping with their individual abilities and gifts, will complete high school with a foundation of learning necessary to thrive in life, work and continued learning. We pride ourselves in the values we hold. Students come first. Learning is our central purpose. Public education serves the common good. The CBE encourages an inclusive and equitable workplace, which supports our diverse student and employee community. We encourage all applicants to join our dynamic, diverse, and collaborative culture and welcome applications from all qualified individuals.
When you apply to the CBE, you can feel good about serving our future leaders and contributing to student success.
What does this role look like?
The CBE understands the future of work is flexible. In this role, you are eligible to participate in a flexible work program that allows you to work remotely for up to three days a week. A minimum of two days must be in the office. At certain times, you maybe be required to work in the office more then 2 days per week based on operational requirements.
This position is responsible for ensuring the integrity of data and of accounts within the General Ledger. This includes developing, managing and communicating General Ledger processes across the organization. Also, responsible for establishing and advising stakeholders on the proper use of the Chart of Accounts to ensure relevant reporting from the larger Financial Systems. This position is responsible for ensuring all electronic interfaces with the General Ledger occur accurately and on a timely basis.
What will you do?
- Assures, safeguards and preserves the integrity of financial information within the General Ledger.
- Manages the General Ledger Chart of Accounts on a system wide basis. Ensures account segment rules and conventions are established, communicated and followed consistently.
- Develops, updates and maintains month-end reports for all schools and departments. Communicates with stakeholders on the delivery and timely distribution of reports.
- Leads and assigns the processing and posting of all journal entries, including recurring and periodic entries.
- Constant review and analyses of General Ledger processes to identify opportunities for continuous process improvement, innovative solutions and system enhancements so the team can operate in an efficient and cost effective manner. Recommend, analyse, and implement changes in General Ledger processes as required.
What are we looking for?
- The completion of a university degree.
- Professional accounting designation required.
- A minimum of 5 years progressively more responsible related experience in general accounting or similar responsibilities in a large sized environment.
- Must be able to work effectively with diverse stakeholder groups at various levels in the organization.
- Strong leadership and coaching skills.
- Public sector experience is considered an asset.
- Excellent proficiency working with large, complex financial management systems and human resource information systems and desktop tools such as databases and spread sheets.
- An equivalent combination of directly related post-secondary education and directly related experience may be considered.
- Ability to respond to requests in a fast paced environment.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Leadership and supervisory skills including delegation of work, employee development, and performance management, strong team working and relationship building.
- Personal suitability.