Board of Director Volunteer Opportunity
- Distress Centre Calgary
- 500, 999 - 8th Street SW Calgary, AB T2R 1J5
- Job Industry
- Health Care & Social Services
- CPA Status
- CPA Member, CPA Candidate
- Job Type
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Distress Centre’s Board of Directors is a Governance Board and is currently looking to add to the board at its upcoming Annual General Meeting in May 2023. Members of the Board are elected to office for a term of three years and may stand for an additional 3 years.
Your success is based on:
- Strategic input into activating the Vision, Mission, and Values of the Distress Centre and being a true advocate for the organization;
- Raising issues and concerns that support the Vision, Mission, and the effective operation of the Distress Centre;
- Providing support by attending special events and/or participating in Distress Centre activities;
- Participating with fundraising initiatives;
- Providing assistance and guidance in making connections, and supporting and advising on the long-term sustainability of the Distress Centre;
- Providing sound, objective judgement which informs decision making;
- Attending Board meetings regularly – typically 8 per year plus a strategy retreat; and
- Serving on at least one Committee and attending Committee meetings (typically at least three per year).
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
We are targeting at least three recruitments this year:
- One candidate will have senior finance leadership experience (potentially with a CPA designation).
- One candidate will have fund development experience, including in sustaining and growing an organization’s resources, opportunity generation and value creation. This candidate will also ideally have experience with stakeholder relations, relationship building and communications.
- The third candidate will have social profit and/or corporate governance expertise, including functional responsibility for governance or board governance committee experience.
- For either or both candidates, any of the following experience would be an asset:
o Experience developing diversity, equity & inclusion practices and understanding within an organization;
o Mental health and addictions experience, whether in terms of employment experience within the sector or lived experience;
o Indigenous relations;
o Experience leading technology programs and with data analytics, including an understanding of data governance and data privacy.
- Attention will be given to avoiding any real or perceived conflict of interest.
- Uncompromising character and personal ethics;
- Strategic, thoughtful, and helpful;
- Respectful and engaged;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to work effectively in a team environment; and
- A sense of humour, a sense of curiosity, and empathy.
WHAT WE OFFER
- The opportunity to work with an experienced and talented leadership team and Board and be a key contributor; and,
- The opportunity to work for an organization that contributes significantly to the betterment of our community.
HOW TO APPLY
- If interested, please submit your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
- Attention: Amanda Kousinioris, Chair, Governance and Nominating Committee
- Closing Date: February 20, 2023.
If you require an accommodation to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please contact Annabele Hernandez at (403) 266-1601 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to work with you to meet your individual needs