- General Bank of Canada
- LeMarchand Mansion, Edmonton, Alberta
- Job Industry
- Banking & Financial Services
- CPA Status
- CPA Member
- Job Type
- Permanent, Full-time
General Bank of Canada is looking for a permanent, full-time Accounting Manager to become a key contributor to the Bank’s Finance & Accounting Team! Consistent with the growth trajectory of the Bank, this is an excellent opportunity for the right individual, with considerable potential for career growth, advancement, and promotion.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer the Accounting Manager is a new role within Finance & Accounting and will work closely with the Controller, Finance & Accounting Risk & Compliance Manager, and Senior Treasury Analyst. As a Chartered Professional Accountant, the Accounting Manager will play a key role in repositioning the Bank’s Accounting function to align to the Bank’s current size while supporting the Bank as it continues its established growth trajectory.
- Staff Leadership. Ensure direct reports are trained, are working towards defined performance plans, and that the complement of staff you lead is correctly sized to meet the needs of the accounting function along with ensuring overall sufficient accounting capacity exists.
- Lead Bank daily transacting. Participate in, and lead, Accounting’s daily transacting notably in the form of various loan fundings, managing customer loan payments, bank reconciliations, and all other daily cash flow transactions and consequent accounting requirements.
- Own the General Ledger. Ensure Accounting produces a reconciled balance sheet in a timely and accurate fashion.
- Process optimization. Be able to quickly understand existing processes, make recommendations for improvements, then lead and complete improvement initiatives.
- Technology improvements. Introduce improvements that enable Accounting to support Bank growth through technology-driven continuous improvements.
- Growth. Gain a thorough understanding of the Finance & Accounting function, combined with an understanding of the broader organization, positioning yourself for continued career growth and professional development.
- Ensure the Controller’s workflows are optimized with respect to regulatory reporting,
- Support the Bank’s Product Line leaders, and the Bank’s Risk, Compliance, and HR functions,
- Assist with month-end processes, various financial reporting, and ongoing process optimization,
- Support the Finance & Accounting Risk & Compliance Manager, and Internal Audit, as required,
- Participate in Bank technology projects as they pertain to this role’s primary responsibilities,
- Maintenance, development, and documentation of internal controls and related procedures,
- Work closely with the Controller on various projects and initiatives, as required
- Direct accountability for the execution, management, and maintenance of standard accounting functions, including daily operational transacting, accounts payable, account receivables, bank reconciliations, general ledger account reconciliations, and requisite journal entries.
- Manage and/or assist in the completion of the month-end accounting cycles leading up to the preparation of monthly financial statements, forecasting, and year-end reporting.
- Hire, train, and retain skilled accounting and administrative staff as it pertains to accounting, accounts payable, and accounts receivable.
- Support the two product line leaders (Retail and Commercial lending), ensuring Accounting remains a product line enabler.
- Working with internal leaders (Risk, Compliance, HR), lead any required updates to financial policies and procedures to ensure Accounting achieves high levels of organizational alignment.
- Working with external services providers (audit, tax), recommend updates to financial policies and procedures to ensure compliance with internal and external financial reporting requirements.
- Work with the CFO and Controller to implement new accounting policies and procedures, as well as administer and document existing policies and procedures.
- Provide advice and insight on financial matters and corporate objectives to the CFO.
- Provide IFRS-related technical support and research in support of new Bank initiatives.
- Work with available tax experts to enable the successful completion of various tax filings.
What you Bring to the Table:
The Accounting Manager will have strong leadership and interpersonal skills, adept and choosing, engaging, and developing their team members.
- CPA designation
- Background in Banking or Finance with a Degree in either field
- Working knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Leadership experience including responsibility for direct reports and performance management
- Strong ERP and systems background, skills, and aptitude
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, with intermediate to advanced Excel skills
- Past experience working with Risk and Compliance functions preferred
- Comfortable with adhering to bank policies and procedures, regulatory compliance discipline
- Ability to balance the interests of a variety of customers; readily able to readjust priorities to respond to pressing and changing demands
- Ability to keep important business information confidential
What General Bank Offers:
As a valued employee of GBC, you will receive the following:
- Competitive salary + benefits package including extended health, dental and vision coverage
- Work-Life Fit
- Great Downtown Location
- Onsite Gym
- Rooftop Patio to enjoy lunches + company events
- Career opportunity to join a growing Bank
Successful candidates must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for any employer, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. General Bank of Canada is an equal-opportunity employer.