- Mosaic Primary Care Network
- Calgary, AB
- To commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Job Industry
- Health Care & Social Services
- CPA Status
- CPA Member
- Job Type
Reporting to the Finance Manager, the Senior Accountant, will ensure accurate and timely execution of general accounting responsibilities including month end processes, weekly payment processing, and day to day financial transactions. The Senior Accountant will be responsible for providing additional support to the Finance Team, including processing of Accounts Payable and Payroll on a job rotation basis. Providing accounting support to multiple PCN’s, the Senior Accountant works closely with the Finance Manager to ensure all required tasks are completed on time and with strict attention to detail. Additionally, the Senior Accountant works closely with the management team by providing monthly variance reports and explanations regarding financial and payroll data. This position is the backup payroll and assists with bi-weekly payroll processing.
General Accounting & Reporting (AP & AR)
- Perform day to day financial transactions including verifying, classifying, posting, and recording general ledger accruals and intercompany transactions.
- Assist in continual improvement of accounting and internal control policies and operational procedures.
- Prepare journal entries for both day-to-day and month-end transactions.
- Maintain and reconciles all general ledger accounts to ensure proper coding of transactions on an ongoing basis.
- Completes month-end and year-end closing.
- Prepare financial statements in accordance with internal financial accounting policies and procedures.
- Monitor and report on cash flow needs, as necessary.
- Assist in providing financial support including forecasting, budgeting, and analyzing variations from budget.
- Supports directors and managers by determining reason(s) for variances.
- Complex account reconciliations, bank accounts, payroll, and benefits accounts.
- Develop and maintain analysis and financial reporting for new grants and projects as requested.
- Advise on and adhere to accounting best practices.
- Prepare monthly & Year-to-Date financial statements using Excel.
- Create new financial reports using accounting software. Update and maintain existing reports based on user needs and the addition of new GL accounts. Generate external reports, as necessary.
- Process Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable transactions on a job rotation basis or as needed.
- Assist in developing and documenting processes with AP and payroll.
- Assist in reporting of monthly KPIs including Financial and HR metrics.
- Assist in preparation of working papers for annual audit, support external auditors.
- Ability to process payroll on a back-up basis for both unionized and non-unionized employees and assists with biweekly payroll processing.
- Provide support to Payroll Coordinator as needed with changes to payroll.
- Understanding of issues related to payroll and demonstrated problem solving ability and initiative to make recommendations to improve and correct issues as they arise and recommend/implement process improvements.
Project & Administrative Support
- Assists with special projects as requested/required.
- Assists with interpretation and administration of Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Provides administrative support to the Financial Operations team, as well as the Head Office as appropriate.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Completion of University Education (BComm, BBA, or other Finance related).
- Completion or in progress of Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation or equivalent work history is preferred.
- Certified Payroll Compliance Practitioner and/or Certified Payroll Manager or equivalent work history is an asset.
- Minimum of three to five years of experience in full cycle accounting is required.
- Minimum of two to five years of experience with payroll processes is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience with QuickBooks is preferred.
- Experience with UKG Pro Payroll System is an asset.
- Experience with Banking and Direct Deposit software is preferred.
- Proficient in MS Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint applications.
- Ability to prepare the following spread sheet applications, preparing memoranda, letters, and reports.
- Critical thinking and the ability to generate informational reports from raw data to support managerial decision making is required.
- Strong ability to problem solve and troubleshoot, including making recommendations to resolve outstanding issues.
- Capable of identifying skill gaps among staff and providing training and education material and/or sessions to address these skill gaps.
- Ability to handle confidential and delicate personnel issues with diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Demonstrates self-motivation, initiative, confidence, discretion, and good judgement.
- Must be analytical with strict attention to detail.
- Strong time management skills with the ability to meet deadlines on a regular baisis.
- Ability to draft written communication, such as letters, procedures, and training materials.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively as a member of the team through personal behaviour, work contribution, and sharing of experience and knowledge.
- Knowledge of general payroll practices and Alberta employment standards.
- Ability to coordinate accounts payable, accounts receivable, and general journal entries.