Accountant - Stony Plain, AB
- North Central Co-op
- Stony Plain, AB
- $53,766 - $92,746 annually
- Job Industry
- Finance, Retail
- CPA Status
- CPA Member, CPA Candidate
- Job Type
We are growing! Do you want to be a part of an organization that is fully member-owned, sustainable and believes in initiatives that benefit the community? Do you thrive in a fast-paced environment? North Central Co-op is located in Central Alberta – providing goods and services to our locations within Stony Plain, Edmonton, Fort Saskatchewan, Spruce Grove, St. Albert, Legal and Sherwood Park. We are proud of our 100,000+ member-owners, our 650+ staff members throughout our 20+ Gas Bars, 1 Home Centre, 4 Cardlock/Bulk Fuel Stations, 5 Food Stores, 5 Liquor and 1 Administration Office, as well as future growth. To learn more about who we are and how you can help bring our brand to life, visit us at www.northcentralco-op.crs.
We invite applications for the position of Accountant to join our Finance team in Stony Plain, AB. The incumbent will support full-cycle accounting with a commitment to sound accounting policies, practices and internal control systems. This position falls within pay band 8 & 9 ($53,766 - $92,746 annually).
What you’ll do:
Perform general accounting activities by supporting the analysis and preparation of financial reports and statements. This includes preparation of journal entries/ledgers, fixed asset and inventory accounting, budgeting, cost accounting, reconciliation, and/or financial statement consolidation. Perform detailed accounting procedures, evaluating and assessing the co-operatives controls, processes, and procedures. Works across multiple areas of accounting based on changing business needs. Develops an understanding of policies and procedures and provides input into accounting processes.
- Full-cycle accounting including monthly account reconciliations and journal entries.
- Complete timely month-end close and generate fully analyzed financial statements.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial and management reports that are accurate, timely, and relevant.
- Ensure liability accounts are adequately reserved; reconciled items are properly supported and cleared in a timely manner.
- Manage annual and project audits to ensure financial statements, working paper and documents meet audit requirements.
- Provide budgeting and forecasting analysis and support.
- Review and analyze financial proposals and contracts to provide ongoing support to North Central Co-op’s 45 business units (and growing) on financial matters including inventory management, margin, sales & expense analysis.
- Ensure a proper system is utilized and monitored for collecting information on daily cash inflows and outflows.
- Support all North Central Co-op business units on financial matters.
- Ensure the companies’ working capital position is managed and maximized through appropriate accounts receivable billing and accounts payable procedures.
- Develop and implement sound accounting policies, practices and internal control systems.
- Calculation, filing and payment of all required corporate remittances (GST, FFC, Tax installments, WCB, surveys, etc.).
Who you are:
You are looking for a career in accounting and have:
- Post-Secondary Education in Accounting, Commerce or Business.
- 5+ years of progressive experience in a related-Accounting position (Retail / Petroleum accounting considered an asset).
- Consideration may be given to relevant experience.
- CPA, Equivalent Accounting Designation, or CPA in progress is an asset.
- Be able to work in a collaborative, fast paced, team environment.
- Hands-on experience with full cycle accounting in terms of direct participation in month-end and year-end accounting activities; financial analysis and reporting; and, budgeting.
- Experience with AS400 and JD Edwards accounting systems considered an asset.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with strong communication skills (verbal and written).
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office programs with advanced level Excel skills.
- Strong organization and problem-solving skills.
What we offer:
A comprehensive compensation and benefits package: Co-op values all employees and offers a compensation package incorporating a competitive salary that includes a short-term incentive plan, a comprehensive benefits package, which includes extended medical, dental, and vision. We also provide group life insurance, short and long-term disability, and a competitive employer contributed pension plan (5% match), recognition programs and on-site parking.
Professional development and learning opportunities: We encourage our Team Members to take advantage of learning opportunities, to grow and develop and to foster a culture of teamwork and innovation. We are invested in our team members as they are a key part of our business, serving the needs of Co-op members and customers. Some of the additional benefits we offer are an employee rebate program (up to 5% return in a North Central Co-op gift card), education assistance, which includes free access to Lumiq, and support with professional development.
A diverse and inclusive environment: North Central embraces diversity and inclusion, and we’re working to create a workplace that is as diverse as the communities we serve. We support and provide an environment that allows all to bring their whole selves to work.
Additional perks: We value our team members and their wellness and include additional perks, such as wellness support resources, Perkopolis memberships and company swag.
Please note applicants to this posting will be asked to adhere to a criminal record check and applications may be used to fill future vacancies within North Central Co-op’s trading area.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply directly to our job board. This posting will remain open until filled.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected to continue in the recruitment process will be contacted.
People & Culture
North Central Co-operative