- Job Industry
- CPA Status
- CPA Member, CPA Candidate
- Job Type
- Permanent, Full-time
At Civida, HOME is our focus. We are the largest provider of social and affordable housing in the Edmonton area, managing over 4500 social housing rental units and over 700 near market housing rental units. We welcome the opportunity to provide our families and individuals with a safe and secure place to call home. Visit Civida.ca for more information.
Reporting to the Manager, Accounting, the Financial Accountant is responsible for overseeing the month-end and year-end processes and overall maintenance of the general ledger. This includes preparation of reconciliations, preparing journal entries, posting of journal entries, supervision of all month end/year end tasks, ensuring timeliness and completeness of all tasks, preparation of the internal reporting statements, variance analysis, reviewing month end working papers and following up on reconciling items.
- Oversee the entire month end and year end process using internal checklist and working with the team to ensure the month is closed within prescribed timelines.
- Ensure that all balance sheet accounts are reconciled monthly.
- Manage and provide guidance on account codes and general management of the general ledger.
- Review/post journal batches to the general ledger and prepare any additional journal entries as required.
- Prepare monthly allocation entries to assign costs to individual projects.
- Responsible for review of staff reconciliations and working papers; follow up as needed.
- Responsible for the tracking and closing of the month-end process.
- Ensure all month-end and yearend financial statements and board financial packages are prepared within the prescribed timelines.
- Report on all variances on the financial statements
- Assist with the interim and year-end audits.
- Ensure accounting processes are carried out within the guidelines of policies and procedures, as well as all accounting standards.
- Prepare and submit all CRA GST filings and coordinate installment payments.
- Prepare ad-hoc financial reports and analysis as required.
- Be the key contact and provide guidance on all month end activities; resolving issues as needed.
- Ensure all processes within the scope of this position are coordinated in co-operation with other departments.
- Provide advice and guidance to management at all levels on financial information to assist them in planning and controlling their operations.
- Assist stakeholders in organizing their financial structure and chart of accounts.
- Provide advice and guidance in the development or improvement of financial procedures.
- Identify opportunities for efficiencies in systems and processes.
- Provide the appropriate training resources for portfolio on forecasting techniques and tools.
- Assist in preparation of policy recommendations, development of procedures, and improvement of managerial reporting.
- Promote operational efficiencies and improvement of department processes.
- Assist in developing Financial Department’s training and procedural manuals.
- University degree in Commerce, with an Accounting or Finance Major.
- Accounting designation is required, candidates near completion of an accounting designation may be considered.
- Public practice experience considered an asset.
- Must have at least two years’ experience in month end and year end accounting cycles.
- Superior problem solving, analytical, and strategic thinking skills; can see the "big picture" in a complex business environment to drive decision making.
- The ability to communicate complex technical issues to a non-technical audience.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to handle multiple assignments and tasks while meeting deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to be agile, innovative, and manage in an environment of change.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to identify problem areas and take corrective action.
- Ability to deal effectively with people in problem situations.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office and exceptional skills in Excel.
How to Apply Interested applicants must send in a resume with a cover letter explaining why they are interested in the position and why they believe they would be a strong candidate. The resume should set out relevant work experience and any volunteer experience that provides a picture of how the candidate fits with the position requirements. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted. The successful applicant will be required to undergo a Police Information Check.