MUNICIPAL DISTRICT OF GREENVIEW
DIVISION: Corporate Services
DEPARTMENT: Financial Reporting
LOCATION: Valleyview, Alberta
STATUS: Accepting applications until a suitable candidate is found.
Located in Northwest Alberta, the Municipal District of Greenview is a vast and diverse area rich in oil and gas, fertile farmland, and mixed wood forests. As the third-largest rural municipality in Alberta, Greenview boasts diversity in economic activities and an extraordinary landscape. Greenview’s economy is strengthened by its diversity, a talented workforce and an entrepreneurial spirit that is second to none. Our residents experience adventure right in their backyards with lakes, rivers, Rocky Mountain peaks and vast prairie offering a year-round outdoor playground for all ages.
Reporting to the Manager, Financial Reporting the General Accountant position is responsible for the accounting and analysis of capital transactions, assistance with the annual audit, and assisting with the preparation, analysis, and distribution of various internal and external financial reporting requirements. The incumbent will also assist in managing various aspects of the Municipality’s annual budget process.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supporting internal customers (Directors and Managers) with regular meetings, monthly operational and capital budget to actual reports, and analysis.
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly operational and capital budget to actual reports, including variance analysis for submission to the CAO, senior leadership team, and Council.
- Assist with the preparation of the annual budget, including budget reporting for the organization.
- Prepare monthly general journal entries, reconciliations, and analysis of related accounts, and working papers.
- Setup and maintenance of the fixed asset register
- Process capital entries as required including additions, disposals, and amortization. Prepare fixed asset reports including Work in Progress reconciliation, holdbacks reconciliation, gain/loss schedule, and continuity schedules.
- Prepare audit working paper files and communicate with Finance team members and auditors during year-end audits.
- Assist with developing and maintaining the integrity of the financial reporting process and financial controls. Maintain and strengthen internal controls for financial reporting processes.
- Conduct annual review of all assumptions used in classifying fund codes and object codes for external financial statement presentation and ensuring all data is complete and accurate.
- Identify areas of inefficiencies in monthly, quarterly, and annual processes and offer solutions to improve efficiencies.
- Other related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS / EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or business-related field. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Working towards a CPA designation is preferred.
- Must have a minimum of 3-5 years of progressively responsible experience in accounting, preferably in the public sector.
- Experience in a similar position with general accounting, fixed assets, reconciliations, analysis, reporting, is essential.
- Working understanding in generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), requirements and practices.
- To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform the duties listed above to a high degree of quality, timeliness, and precision. The individual should be able to set priorities and efficiently utilize time-management skills while maintaining accuracy.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to think from multiple perspectives.
- Detail-oriented, organized, and able to multi-task effectively.
- Ability to interpret financial statements.
- Proficient in MS Office with particular skill in Excel and computerized financial systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to interact well with, and respond to inquiries from employees, Management, Council and Ratepayers.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to interpret, implement and adhere to organizational policies and procedures.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT:
- Extensive use of computer and telephone.
- Long periods of sitting, good lighting, temperature, and noise control.
- Minimal physical effort; occasional light lifting.
- Normal working day consists of 7.5 hours; however occasional overtime may be required.
HEALTH & SAFETY:
- All personnel working at the Municipal District of Greenview are governed by the Municipal District Health & Safety Policy.
- Ensures all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with Municipal District Policies and Occupational Health & Safety Regulations.
- Ensure proper ergonomic requirements are met and good ergonomic procedures are practiced.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates may submit cover letter (stating the position you are applying to) and resume in one of the following ways:
By E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (please quote the position in the subject line)
By Confidential Fax: 780-524-3981
Mail or Drop Off: Municipal District of Greenview No. 16
4806 – 36 Ave., Box 1079
Valleyview, Alberta T0H 3N0
While we truly appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.