Accounting Manager, Public Accounting
AccessHR is pleased to partner with Transcend LLP in the recruitment of a full-time, permanent Accounting Manager, Public Accounting for their office in High River, Alberta.
About Transcend LLP
Transcend LLP is a full-service professional accounting firm and serves a diverse range of small to medium sized businesses throughout Southern Alberta. Founded in 1985, Transcend is on its’ second generation of leadership and is proud to be the “go to” accounting firm for “down to earth” people and businesses.
We continue to take a personal interest in our clients and take the time to learn about their families and businesses. Our clients generally stay with us and refer their family and friends. As such, we value and appreciate team members who can build genuine, trusted client relationships and can put accounting into non-accountant language.
- Hard Work
- Community Integrity
About High River
High River is a vibrant, affordable, people-first community of ~14,000 people and is the back door to Kananaskis Country, 4,000 square kilometres of mountain parks, hiking, rivers, lakes, and more. Small town charm and beautiful scenery are complemented by authentic, western hospitality. While High River is a small town, it also has big town amenities including protective services, a hospital, shopping, and heritage buildings. And it’s only 20 km from Okotoks and 50 km from Calgary. It’s even a hub for major films and television! Check out the website here … High River.
The Accounting Manager will report directly to the two Partners of the firm and, after a transition period, will lead our team of Public Accountants. This position is ideally suited to an individual who is looking to live and grow in a small town or rural setting. Someone who loves to take the time to get to know their clients and build genuine relationships will be successful.
- Lead a team of ~8 public accountants in all operational functions including recruitment, training, performance development, and mentorship.
- Take over an existing book of business and expand the client base over time.
- Prepare compilation and assurance files, including all working papers and formal financial statements; prepare corporate, personal, and estate income tax returns.
- Review Accountant team’s work and provide feedback, training, and mentorship.
- Research and stay current on practical applications of accounting and assurance standards.
- Down to Earth: Our clients are primarily small business owners who appreciate good advice, honesty, and a laugh.
- Genuine: Care about individuals; talk in their terms, be authentic, and learn all you can about them.
- Humble: Admit when you make a mistake and find a solution.
- Diversity: Appreciate different personalities and adapt to them.
- Self Sufficient: Don’t know the answer? Research before asking.
Education & Experience
- 10+ years’ experience preparing financial statements and tax returns in public accounting, client-facing environment.
- 4+ years’ experience in a leadership or managerial position.
- Chartered Professional Accountants (CPA) designation.
- Knowledge of and experience with MS Office and CaseWare.
- Agricultural accounting experience is a strong asset.
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation plan including parking, Health Spending & Wellness Account, comprehensive benefits, generous vacation, and Group RRSP matching.
- Professional, spacious, and extremely inviting office space including private office, boardrooms, and kitchen.
- Proficient and long-term Bookkeeping and Administration teams that provide reliable and consistent support.
- Genuine commitment to a balanced lifestyle as evidenced by the office closing at noon on Fridays during the summer months.
- Opportunity to be an integral part of an organization supporting small businesses and the community at large.
- Chance to clearly see the positive impact of you and your team’s efforts and achievements.
- Genuine opportunity for advancement.
- This is an in-person role with limited opportunity to work from home on a regular basis.
Interested candidates are invited to apply with a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Accounting Manager, Public Accounting” in the subject line of your email. The position posting will close at 6:00 pm on May 29th, 2023.
All applicants will receive a personalized response and candidates under consideration will be contacted directly. Please be advised that applications will be monitored daily, and interviews may be scheduled throughout the posting period.
We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply as Transcend is committed to offering a diverse and safe workspace free from discrimination. All applicants are considered regardless of age, gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, and religion.