Black Gold School Division is seeking a highly experienced Finance Manager possessing a CPA designation, to effectively perform a key role within our Finance department. This position reports to the Director of Finance and main responsibilities will include supervising payroll and providing assistance with the preparation of the year-end financial statements and audit. The ideal candidate will possess an extensive background in finance and accounting, with a proven track record of proficiency in financial analysis, budgeting, forecasting, and variance analysis.
- Lead and mentor a team of three Payroll Administrators to accurately process multiple monthly payrolls for 1,500 union and non-union salaried and hourly rate employees.
- Ensure compliance with Black Gold School Division board policies and procedures, government regulations, and collective agreements by reviewing and approving final monthly payrolls.
- Ensure accurate completion of annual WCB return and preside over annual T4 and T4A processes.
- Collaborate with Board-appointed external auditors during the annual audit and assist with preparing year-end working papers, schedules, and notes.
- Contribute to the Division budget development by analyzing previous year expenditures and recommending changes to budgeted amounts.
- Create budgets, monthly financial reports and projections for various instructional departments.
- Analyze and record Alberta Education funding on a monthly basis, including coordination of all Alberta Education grants and student counts.
- Prepare financial government reports for grant funding, ensuring accuracy and timely submission.
- Fulfill monthly reporting requirements to Alberta Education.
- Reconcile bank statements on a monthly basis.
- Support the implementation or upgrade of accounting or payroll software.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Finance.
- CPA designation is required.
- 5+ years of progressive experience in accounting and finance roles, including payroll, financial reporting, analysis, and budgeting.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Proven ability to lead a team and build positive working relationships.
- Knowledge of audit, control, and reconciliation procedures with experience in applying internal controls in a business environment.
- Proficient in Windows and Google environments, with strong data analysis skills, including advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel tools, formulas, and formatting.
- Ability to prioritize tasks effectively to meet deadlines, allocate resources, and manage competing deadlines in a dynamic, growing environment.
- Commitment to accuracy with strong attention to detail in processing detailed information consistently and meticulously.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team environment of cooperation, respect, and integrity.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, analytical, time management, and organizational skills.
- Previous work experience in a School Division would be considered an asset.
- This full-time, permanent position works 12 months
- Pay Level 9: $81,811 – $107,651
- Salary commensurate with training and experience
- Competitive benefits package through ASEBP & LAPP
- Start date for this full-time position will be determined at time of hiring
- As a condition of employment, new employees are required to provide a current Criminal Record Check and Intervention Record Check at their own expense (prior to starting employment)
Deadline for applications: Posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found but preferential considerations will be given to candidates that apply before June 30th.
Please include a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information for three professional references in one PDF document.
Email the package, quoting the competition number, to the Attention of:
Human Resources Coordinator
Black Gold School Division
3rd Floor – 1101-5th Street
Nisku, AB T9E 7N3
Thank you for showing an interest in this position; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Resumes of those individuals not granted an interview will not be kept on file and will be disposed of appropriately.