Permanent Full Time 37.5 hours
Position is required on site in office location in Three Hills, AB.
In this newly defined position, we are looking for an individual with a strong attention to detail, and a knack for collaboration with all levels of the organization. We need you to provide strength and engagement within the areas of finance. We want someone who will be as fun and energetic to match our fantastic Financial Services team. This individual will bring their enthusiasm for teamwork, openness, and adaptability to our organization. Keep reading if this is you!
Welcome to Kneehill County!
Situated in the heart of central Alberta, Kneehill County is a progressive rural municipality comprised of approximately 814,653 acres of land and a population of 5001. Within the Kneehill County boundaries, are the Towns of Three Hills and Trochu, Villages of Acme, Carbon, and Linden, and 4 Hamlets (Torrington, Huxley, Swalwell, Wimborne) and other neighborhoods, with a total population of 11,000+.
The towns and villages in the area provide several recreational opportunities including indoor and outdoor swimming pools, indoor and outdoor skating rinks, walking and biking trails, ball diamonds, curling rinks, a wide variety of parks, and playgrounds as well as many campgrounds. Golf courses in the area include Trochu, Three Hills and Acme.
Under the direction of the Director of Corporate Services this position is responsible for the day-to-day financial operations of the County including oversight of relevant financial operational systems, processes, administration, and internal controls.
The position will also provide accurate and timely financial information internally and externally, consistent with regulatory and policy requirements. The position will serve as a mentor and leader to 3 direct reports including the functions of Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Taxation and Assessment, and Procurement. The position will work in a collaborative manner with stakeholders across the organization to optimize efficiency and efficacy of finance functions.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Director of Corporate Services to establish best practices, benchmarks, and performance measurements for Finance in meeting and responding to the needs of the organization.
- Maintain, control, and review day to day batch processing involving cash receipts, accounts receivable, accounts payable, taxes, utility batches and payroll.
- Prepare internal and external reports, including but not limited to, financial statements, GST reports and annual FIR.
- Monitor and analyze operating and capital expenses against budget.
- Ensure the integrity of the general ledger and sub ledgers through a mix of accounting policies, journal entries, controls, reviewing reconciliations by staff and continued monitoring of accounts and procedures.
- Coordination of year end work as well as preparation of year end working papers and processing of required adjustments, to support preparation of draft financial statements.
- Development and maintenance of asset retirement obligations working papers, as per the PSAS standard 3280.
- Manage the annual audit process and complete all associated reporting requirements.
- Manage the organization’s insurance portfolio, including liaising with appropriate stakeholders regarding insurance claims, cost allocations and renewals.
- Prepare and/or support the preparation of reports and presentations for financial presentations to Council, as required.
- Keep current with regulatory changes - MGA, PSAB, etc. as required.
- A recognized accounting designation (i.e., Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA)) or be working towards the same or business administration or commerce degree and equivalent amount of experience and education.
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible accounting experience and supervisory experience in a municipal government setting.
- Sound knowledge of all legislation and regulations pertinent to the financial function as well as policies and legislation affecting municipal government, including knowledge of the public Sector Accounting Board Accounting Standards.
- Solid understanding of municipal accounting practices and requirements.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills with a demonstrated track record of the ability to create, nurture, and sustain positive internal and external relationships.
- Excellent communication (both verbal and written) and public relations skills; positive customer service philosophy.
- Strong proficiency in financial information systems such as Great Plains/Diamond Municipal Solutions.
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills.
- Capable of creating and sustaining a respective and productive work environment that inspires teamwork, creativity, enthusiasm, and positive results. Ability to lead, motivate, coach, and develop staff.
- Political Acumen
- Strong proficiency in the Microsoft suite required, most specifically Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Highest level of professional ethics.
- Valid Class 5 Alberta Operators License.
What do we offer?
- Competitive pay
- Local Authority Pension Plan (LAPP)
- Group Health Benefits
- Engaging and empowering work environment
- Strong policies and supportive atmosphere
- Open Door policy for ideas and creativity
- Training and Development Opportunities
- Fun and friendly co-workers
Does this sound like you? Are you interested in getting to know us better?
Visit our website: https://kneehillcounty.com/
Send an introductory letter, along with your resume providing the answer to these two questions:
- Provide an example of how you successfully introduced and managed a new process into your workplace? Include your level of participation in this process.
- Provide a unique teambuilding idea that you implemented, and the long-term results gained.
Attention: Jessie Kasha – HR Coordinator
Re: Financial Controller
Kneehill County 1600 2nd Ave Three Hills, AB T0M 2A0
Closing Date: June 13, 2023
We thank all applicants in advance, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.