Controller - Revenue & Collections
- Red Deer
- 52.15 to $65.29/hr ($102,092 to $127,615 annual)
- Job Industry
- Finance, Government, Other
- CPA Status
- CPA Member, CPA Candidate
- Job Type
- Permanent, Full-time
The City of Red Deer is currently recruiting to fill the permanent full-time position of Controller – Revenue & Collections. This management position provides strategic leadership and direction to program development and administration for key corporate revenue billing, collection, credit management, and customer services. Responsibilities include applying in-depth knowledge of accounting, legislation and credit management expertise to create effective corporate policy and procedure for the organization. Must exercise critical thinking and interpretive skills in managing and leading a diverse team, developing internal controls, staff training and development, safety and risk management, budgeting and planning, contract management, and developing and maintaining key stakeholder relationships. Requires proven leadership, exceptional communication skills, collaborative approach, project management, exceptional analytical and problem-solving, as well as strong persuasion and negotiation skills to manage the functional area and associated financial and safety risks.
Responsible for billing and collection of over $75 million in City revenues, including utility billing, essential to financial sustainability and delivery of services City-wide. This position oversees the effective and integrated operation of ERP systems, management reporting, financial reporting, comprehensive public communication plans, and project and change management in service delivery.
Functions in this role are highly visible to the public and ensuring effective and efficient customer service is a key aspect of this role.
Our ideal candidate for this role has:
- Professional accounting designation (CPA) plus continuous relevant training and development
- Seven years progressively more responsible accounting experience at a supervisory level, preferable in a large, unionized organization
- Considerable experience in a complex, computerized ERP accounting environment with current computer technology and system development expertise
- Well-developed managerial skills with the ability to effectively plan, direct, coach and mentor staff
- Demonstrated skills in clarifying and resolving issues and designing business programs and processes
- Experience interpreting and applying legislation and other regulations and standards (MGA, GAAP)
- Detailed knowledge of internal control principles and practices
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively interact with the public, senior managers, businesses and to manage conflict
- The ability to handle sensitive information, maintain confidentiality and deal tactfully in a political environment
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and accurately both in writing and orally through effective presentation, reports and policy documents
- Budgeting processes (municipal government experience preferred)
*Preference given to those candidates that have had experience in the following:
- Leadership of similar functions particularly utility billing and/or credit management
- Project and change management
- Business process improvement – LEAN or similar implementations
- Management of a large customer service function
- ERP system implementation
- Municipal or similar experience
What we offer:
In addition to the competitive hourly wage of $52.15 to $65.29 per hour ($102,092 to $127,615 salary) and an excellent benefit package; we offer a great work environment with a dynamic and dedicated team of likeminded professionals. Some opportunity for remote work is available.
If you like what you have read and think this is the job for you; come build your career with the City of Red Deer.
We welcome applications until July 3, 2023
For a detailed job description and to apply, please visit www.reddeer.ca/careers
Applicants not contacted are thanked for their interest.