We are seeking a Corporate Accountant, to support our Accounting team by being responsible for project revenue, costs, GA costs, and balance sheet accounts. They will work closely with internal departments to ensure all daily accounting activities are in compliance with United States Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (“US GAAP”), internal controls, policies, and procedures. This position manages monthly, quarterly, and annual close processes, coordinates with auditors, and prepares working papers for internal and external reporting requirements.
The Accountant position performs job setup, control and maintenance activities, as well as month end activities including cost accruals, revenue recognition, open PO analysis and reconciliation of applicable balance sheet accounts.
North American Construction Group (NACG) financials are publicly listed and are prepared in accordance with US GAAP with common shares traded on the New York stock Exchange and the Toronto Stock Exchange. NACG is a participant in the CPA Alberta Pre-Approved Program for practical experience.
Here at NACG we want to be a part of the next step in your employment journey and push your future forward. Our people are what make North American Construction Group an industry leader, its our people that keep the largest fleet of equipment in Western Canada running and it's our people that keep our job sites safe.
What’s In It for You?
- Health and Safety is our #1 priority, and we live it 3-6-5!
- Market aligned salary & bonus program
- Comprehensive health benefits coverage and employer paid premiums
- GRRSP matching program
- Paid vacation and personal time
- Tuition reimbursement program and career growth and development
- Social culture and employee events
- Summer Friday’s!
See for yourself from our Senior Business Analyst, Curtis: “There are a lot of things I like about working for NACG, like the opportunity that they open for you for career advancement, great team, awesome leadership, best benefit package for me and my family, flexible time if you need some adjustments in your work schedule and of course the compensation I would say that, I can see myself retiring at NACG!”
What You'll Be Doing
- Oversee project and equipment results to ensure the capture of financial information in accordance with US GAAP and internal policies and procedures.
- Work closely with project management, procurement, payroll, accounts receivable and accounts payable to ensure accurate and consistent financial reporting, cost capture, revenue recognition and project billing.
- Review open purchase orders and aged received not vouchered ledgers to identify cost accruals and/or corrections.
- Maintain accurate and timely processing of all transactions.
- Manage general ledger journal entries in accordance with NACG policies and procedures.
- Assist project personnel in performing project start-up and life-cycle maintenance.
- Manage assigned accounting for Corporate activities, including establishing proper accounting, per GAAP, building and maintaining working papers and the timely and accurate reconciliation and analysis of activity.
- Work with Corporate and Divisional Finance to reconcile and analyze the company’s consolidated balance sheet.
- Prepare audit working paper files and communicate with Finance team members and auditors during year-end audits and quarter-end reviews.
- Respond to queries from internal stakeholders and external auditors.
- Identify areas of inefficiencies in monthly, quarterly and annual processes and offer solutions to improve efficiencies.
- Participate in ongoing systems upgrading and maintenance projects by drafting and completing test scripts.
- Participate in maintenance of the financial reporting systems, including developing and improving upon custom financial reporting.
- Participate in quarterly SOX and internal control testing.
- Contribute towards the development and maintenance of internal controls processes.
- Prepare and/or assist in ad hoc and routine analysis and reporting of transactions for Finance department management.
- Administer JDE general ledger account and business unit setups and modifications in accordance with established controls.
- Participate in ad hoc projects as necessary.
What Makes You the One
- Minimum three years’ experience related to financial accounting or project accounting.
- Construction and/or mining industry experience preferred.
- Related Bachelor’s degree related to financial accounting.
- Actively enrolled in the Chartered Professional Accountants (CPA) program.
- A minimum of six years’ experience in financial accounting in lieu of the Bachelor’s degree and not actively enrolled in the CPA program may be considered.
- Able to manage confidential information.
- Sees projects through to the finish and is responsive and timely in follow-up with co-workers.
- JDE experience and intermediate Excel skills preferred.
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure and adjust to changing priorities.
- Detail oriented, organized and ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to maintain a consistently high level of productivity & accuracy.