Financial Services Specialist
- Workers' Compensation Board- Alberta
- Edmonton, Alberta
- Grade 12 - $87,363 to $102,765
- Job Industry
- Banking & Financial Services
- CPA Status
- CPA Member
- Job Type
- Permanent, Full-time
Financial Services Specialist
Permanent, Full-time Position
…strive to make a difference?
…value respect, care, excellence, trust and fairness?
…value a culture where individuals are committed to deliver purposeful client service through a lens of learning and growth, within a hybrid work model that values flexibility and work-life balance?
At WCB-Alberta, we make a meaningful impact in the lives of working Albertans. We are a not-for-profit organization legislated to administer the workers' compensation system for the province. When any Alberta worker is hurt on the job, we are here to help. We provide compensation and benefits for workplace injuries and occupational diseases to over 1.9 million workers.
The Financial Services team manages the reporting and compliance functions related to financial reporting for the organization. Our reporting is based on IFRS accounting standards, with the soon to be adopted IFRS 17. Our compliance activities encompass process overviews for evaluating risks and assessing the existence and effectiveness of internal controls to manage risks.
WCB-Alberta is on a journey to evolve our processes and the ways in which we deliver insight to our customers, using technology as an enabler. To be successful in this environment, you’ll need to have a strong interest in digital transformation, and experience in applying frameworks that facilitate evaluation around continuous improvement and risk assessment. Self-initiative is no stranger to you; you learn quickly and adapt to new challenges; your analysis skills are strong, and you make sense out of many different sources of information. Combining your ability to effectively communicate with all levels of staff, management, and external stakeholders, along with your strong client focus will help you to effectively influence and manage change.
We are shaping the future around the delivery of financial insight to our organization. We believe in meaningful work, automating the transactional, and focusing our expertise on providing insight to the business. If you align with our values, want to be part of a group of enthusiastic people who share our passion for meaningful work and are excited about the opportunities that our finance team is delivering to our business, we encourage you to apply online today.
- Prepare the monthly and annual financial statements, including detailed working papers, commentary and variance analysis in a summarized format to facilitate decision making.
- Plays a key role in the year end audit process including, but not limited to, the development of the Management, Discussion and Analysis (MD&A), and the external financial statements that form part of the Annual Report, ensuring the on-time production of a high quality and accurate report; as well as participating and facilitating responses to external audit queries.
- Provides a key role in monthly meetings with Finance Division management to discuss financial statements.
- Supports budget and forecast updates to financial statements, by coordinating with the Financial Planning and Performance team.
- Provide technical leadership on IFRS accounting issues including, but not limited to, recommending accounting treatment and the resulting process changes and documentation for new accounting standards
- Review capital projects, providing analysis and recommendations to business units related to the proper accounting treatment. Oversee management of entries and database related to capital assets.
- Prepare journal entries and reporting on investment portfolio, working closely with investment team. Develop improvements to investment accounting processes.
- Project Manages annual compliance review, as well as ad hoc audit, financial, fraud and compliance deliverables.
- Participate in projects as assigned, as well as perform analysis on requests from various stakeholders. These would include the review of business cases, project charters, contracts, and various types of other requests, with a keen eye to evaluating and providing guidance on accounting treatment, budgetary impacts, and financial risk and controls.
Your experience and skills:
- University degree in Business; specialization in accounting and business analytics would be an asset.
- CPA designation.
- At least 5 years of experience in financial accounting under IFRS, including effective research and recommendation of accounting policies and practices; preparation of complex financial statement working papers; financial analysis; and preparation of budgets.
- Advanced experience in the use of excel, as well as experience with Power BI, and the analytic tools available within Microsoft 365.
- Solid understanding around the importance of data management in the context of financial analysis and reporting.
- Ability to learn quickly when faced with problems and ambiguity.
- Effective written and verbal communication and presentation skills, including the ability to explain complex concepts to non-technical staff, and deliver reports suitable for decision making.
- Well-developed team management skills, including the ability to prioritize, plan and organize required deliverables and to delegate effectively.
- Strong interpersonal, customer service, and consulting skills.
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills, as well as creativity in identifying solutions, with proven decision-making ability.
- Ability to remain composed when faced with unexpected problems and work effectively through stressful situations.
- Experience with Workday Adaptive Planning and IFMS PeopleSoft would be an asset.
We offer a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package, flexible work schedules and hybrid work (combination of work in Edmonton downtown office and remote work from home) opportunities that foster a healthy work-life balance. You’ll work with supportive leaders and skilled professionals in a caring and collaborative work environment. For more information, please see our Employee Handbook, available on our website.
SALARY: $87,363 to $102,765 per year (Grade 12)
We are committed to providing equal opportunity to all qualified persons, without regard to race, colour, religion or national origin, gender (or gender identity expression), age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability. Equal opportunity is provided in employment, promotions and wages.
Please apply online by submitting a cover letter and resume quoting competition #JR101314 to Careers - WCB Alberta. Final candidates for this position are required to undergo a security clearance and credit check.
Reposted: September 21, 2023
Closes: October 23, 2023
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
More search results
CPA Articling Student
VKO LLP Chartered Professional Accoutants
JR Shaw School of Business, NAIT
Analyst, Financial Reporting
Capital Power - 353284
Edmonton Chapter - Board / Executive Members
Edmonton Chapter of CPA Alberta
Senior Accountant, CPA
Radisson Hotels & Resorts