The GS Construction team in Acheson, Alberta, likes to think we look at things a little differently from others in the Construction Industry. As it states on our tagline – "Laying the Groundwork for Your Community" is not just for the market we serve but it is also about "laying the groundwork" for our employees and trusted business partners. When we look for partners to join our team, we look for people with the work ethic and integrity that ultimately form the culture of what it means to be a GS team member. A cornerstone of our work culture is a "field- focused" mentality. This means everything we do in structuring our business is done to support our our people doing the hard work in the field, day-in and day-out.
This is same approach we are using to fill a new Accountant role. This individual, reporting to the General Manager, is responsible for overseeing the company financial activities, and ensuring accuracy in reporting and compliance.
Are you an individual that is:
- Driven by being in a supporting role and contributing behind the scenes?
- Driven by being focused on functional value?
- Driven by traditional and proven methods and systems?
If you answered yes to the above questions, this may be the role and opportunity you’re looking for.
Please make sure you can demonstrate successful experience in the following areas of responsibility:
- Ensuring the integrity of the balance sheet, income statement, and other financial reports through best accounting practices and information integrity and backup.
- Monitoring cash collections and disbursements ensuring a healthy cash state.
- Monitoring of AR and AP ensuring that regular and accurate collections and payments are done each month.
- Maintenance of the ERP system and GL Accounts to ensure the integrity of the data posted.
- Recording and maintaining capital equipment transactions to ensure accurate reporting.
- Internal billing and accounting of equipment between inter-company accounts.
- Recording and allocating payroll cost to appropriate companies and projects.
- Providing reporting and information that supports the decision making of company leadership.
At least 45% of your time in the role will be monitoring AR and AP and providing reporting and information to the company leadership each month.
Please ensure that you have the following qualifications and years of experience required to be successful in this role:
- Post-Secondary Education in a relevant field such as Accounting, Finance, or General Business with an emphasis in Management or Financial Accounting.
- Professional Accounting Designation (CA, CMA, CGA, or CPA).
- 6+ years of post-designation experience is required in an Operational Accountant role.
- Experience in the construction industry with Water & Sewer and/or GC companies a bonus.
- Strong knowledge of best Management and Financial accounting practices related to the construction industry.
- Proven experience handling and responding to complex concerns/challenges.